cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote 5508 Standby Controller HA-SKU

Michael Shelton
Level 1
Level 1

How does the standby HA-SKU controller that is located remotely miles away maintains it's heartbeat while serving as backup to multiple sites.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael,

There are different deployments of HA with the HA-SKU.

1) You have AP-SSO/Client-SSO this is where the controllers are 1 - 1 sync and not 1 to multiple.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html

2) You have HA N+1 backup. This is where the WLC turned into HA converts to MAX licenses and acts like a fullly licensed controller. You can back up 1 to many in this design.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide/N1_HA_Overview.html

Hope this helps

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... You don't want to do AP SSO over layer 3 unless you are spanning your subnets. What you need to do is N+1 which is what George also posted. There is no heartbeat between the two with N+1 like in AP SSO.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I just deployed 5 hospitals with N+1 and it works well ..

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Agreed.... it does work well.... compared to AP SSO:)

Sorry Leo... hehe

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Michael Shelton
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Guys I appreciate the information

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: