Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Remote WLC Backup

Gentlemen:

I am looking for documentation to do a remote WLC backup for several remote WLC's. Cisco states they support this but I can find no documentation on configuration. Any ideas?

8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Remote WLC Backup

I think they mean setting the other WLC as a secondary WLC which will act as a backup to the primary wlc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

I do not think so. I 5.1 and 5.2 there is special section Global configuration, High Availability - primary backup controller and secondary backup controller. I am also interested in concept behind this option. But still lack of information.

Cheers

Gregory

That is the same thing.... the newer code allows you to specify which ap's should be given higher priority to join a wlc. For example... if you have 30 ap's and you have 2 4402-25 WLC's and one wlc fails, the wlc that is up will only support 25 ap's. So now you can specify that you want these 25 to be on and that the other 5 is low priority.

FYI... failover is not transparent to the users... so don't get confused with the high availability like in a router scenario.

-Scott

I agree with you regales AP priority and failover. But you still point to other future than asked :-).

Check screenshot

Yes... that is part of AP Failover. The high availability setting is to allow you to configure when an ap should switch back if the primary wlc comes back online. If there was a high-availability feature between WLC's, then it would most likely be in the Controller | General tab. That code also has the feature for the radius servers to set the Timeout value to use the primary radius when it comes back online.

-Scott

Here is a link to the wlc high availability... again it only cuts down the time it takes, but it is not transparent to users. You can adjust the heartbeat timers in the other code, but in the cli. It also causes more traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/107250/ha-wlc.pdf

-Scott

Actually what I am looking for is: A configuration for AP failover using one WLC in one location, and the backup located at the main site. Not AP failover failing to a primary or secondary based at the same location or the the priority of it...

Configuration for AP failover is the same no matter if you have both wlc at the same location or not or three wlc in different locations. IF you plan on doing a split wlc location, then you need to make sure your mobility is working between the two sites. When you primary wlc fails, the ap's will join the secondary and users will terminate from that wlc and that network. USers will have to obtain a new ip address in order to have connectivity. The ap's joining another wlc will drop their connection during that process and when the ap comes up, should reinitiate a dhcp request.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies