Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Repeater does not forward data packets

Hello all!

I have following setup:

A root access-point ap1, model AIR-AP1231G-E-K9 with IOS 12.3(8)JEE, is configured with one SSID on VLAN 1 (native) and working fine.

Now I would like to add a 2nd access-point ap2 of the same model with the same IOS version as a repeater to extend the WLAN coverage of the overall network.

I managed to configure the 2nd access-point successfully as repeater (same SSID settings, infrastructure ssid set, parent 1 mac-address set) and it associates successfully with the main root access-point.

Now I observe following effect: As soon I leave the coverage area of the first AP and enter the area of the repeater, the client (iPhone, Laptop or any other WLAN device) associates successfully to the repeater (confirmed with "show dot11 ass" and due to the log entries of the repeater) but the data packets are not forwarded to the main access-point. There is no IP connectivity to the root AP or internet anymore.

Another example which might lead to the solution is following observation:

I have my laptop connected to the wireless network with two console sessions open. In one I run a ping to the first AP, ap1 (10.200.3.5) and in the other console I run a ping to the repeater ap2 (10.200.3.6). Both access-points reply.

Now if I enter the coverage area of the repeater, my laptop gets associated to it and the ping to the first AP ap1 times out.

Again, it looks like that the repeater denies to forward traffic to the main root AP.

I have no clue why this happens, nor are there any log messages available which might explain this issue.

I hope someone can help me finding the problem.

The configuration of the working root access-point ap1 as the repeater ap2 is attached.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Bernhard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Re: Repeater does not forward data packets

You  have configured sub-interface on radio interface & not in ethernet interface at Root AP end. change the config like below & see.

dot11 ssid Internet Las 3 Marias

vlan 1

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa

guest-mode

infrastructure-ssid

wpa-psk ascii 7 xxxx

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

bridge-group 1

!

ssid Internet Las 3 Marias

!

speed basic-1.0 2.0 5.5 6.0 9.0 11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0

channel 2412

station-role root access-point

world-mode dot11d country-code US both

!

interface Dot11Radio0.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

bridge-group 1

Here is a reference post for a similar setup (vlan 110 is native vlan though)

http://mrncciew.com/2013/01/20/autonomous-ap-repeater/

Also suggest to configure WPA2/AES (instead of WPA/TKIP), if it is supporting in this AP model, command syntax is like below.

dot11 ssid xx

authentication key-management wpa version 2

!

int d0

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

Let us know how it goes

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

You  have configured sub-interface on radio interface & not in ethernet interface at Root AP end. change the config like below & see.

dot11 ssid Internet Las 3 Marias

vlan 1

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa

guest-mode

infrastructure-ssid

wpa-psk ascii 7 xxxx

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

bridge-group 1

!

ssid Internet Las 3 Marias

!

speed basic-1.0 2.0 5.5 6.0 9.0 11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0

channel 2412

station-role root access-point

world-mode dot11d country-code US both

!

interface Dot11Radio0.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

bridge-group 1

Here is a reference post for a similar setup (vlan 110 is native vlan though)

http://mrncciew.com/2013/01/20/autonomous-ap-repeater/

Also suggest to configure WPA2/AES (instead of WPA/TKIP), if it is supporting in this AP model, command syntax is like below.

dot11 ssid xx

authentication key-management wpa version 2

!

int d0

Let us know how it goes

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thank you for your hint, indeed this was the key element which lead to the solution.

It works now, the clients associate correctly to the root AP:

0023.4dd7.5074 169.254.183.9   Rptr-client   -               0015.f922.2185 Assoc

I just had to remove "infrastructure-client" on the Dot110 interface of the repeater.

When I was setting

to

I received the error message

Nov 27 23:29:07.471: %DOT11-4-CANT_ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, cannot associate: No WPAIE exist for the ssid Internet Las 3 Marias

This was due to the fact that I was unable to configure the WPA version number in the SSID configuration.

I think the access-points are just too old to support WPA 2

Now I am just trying to find out why some of the clients (especially iPhones) are unable to obtain an IP address via DHCP if they are in the coverage area of both access-points.

Might there are some issues with clients which do not support the aironet extensions?

VIP Purple

Hi Bernhard,

Glad you got good progress on this.

Regarding WPA2/AES, did you try changing it on both side (ie Root AP & Repeater) ? If you already done this  & got this msg, then WPA2/AES may not supported this code/AP model.

Regarding aironet extension, you cannot disable in your case as Repeater itself & Client associating on the same SSID. If you disable it Repeater won't be able to connect to your Root AP

By the way thanks for rating our response

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

thank you for your reply.

I was indeed changing the encryption settings on both the root AP and repeater and it did not work (No WPAIE..). I agree that this configuration method might just not be supported on this AP series.

I have still some strange connectivity issues with clients associating to the repeater AP.

It seem that DHCP requests are not getting forwarded as iPhones are seeing the SSID but are unable to obtain an IP address.

I already tried it with "dot11 arp-cache" and "dot11 arp-cache optional" on both sides without success.

If I use a PC, I can roam between the both devices without issues but this may be because of longer DHCP lease times or due to the fact that the device does not renew the IP if the AP changes.

Do I maybe require to enable forwarding of the DHCP broadcast packets to the LAN via the root AP or maybe use a dedicated DHCP server on the repeater AP?

Best regards,

Bernhard

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content