cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Cisco 352 Bridged Network with 1552s

Torrance Zeiler
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question concerning replacing a 352 bridged network with 1552 mesh access points. Theoretically, imagine a centralized 352 with an omnidirectional antenna that is linked to multiple 352's with yagi antennas in a hub-spoke fashion. If this central 352 is replaced with a 1552 access point, will the existing Yagi's be able to talk to the 1552? I understand that the Yagi's AP's should be replaced with 1552's as well (thus forming a mesh network as the 1552s are designed to do) but for the sake of theory please assume the 'spoke' 352s will not be replaced. I have the understanding that the 1552s communicate over the 802.11a for the backhaul so I'm thinking this would cause some issues with the 352's.

Thank you, and let me know if I need to clarify the scenario. I was having a little trouble actually putting it into words.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Torrance,

If you enable client access on the backhaul link of the 1552, then you can have non-mesh-backhaul associations on that radio. I have done this successfully with Cisco 1410 outdoor bridges. The Yagi antenna is not a functional software aspect, it is a hardware and physical aspect of the way the energy from your 352s is focused and radiated.

Aren’t the 350 series APs 2.4GHz only? 1552s are .11a-side (5GHz) backhaul only. There is support for .11b-side backhaul in the slightly older 1522, configurable from the CLI, but this is, of course, not recommended because of the numerous issues with limited spectrum, congestion, etc.

If you want a less expensive spoke node, you might consider a 1262 in an weather-rated enclosure. You don’t necessarily need to go all the way up to a 1552 on your spokes in order to make the bridging work.

Alternatively, if you really have to keep your old 352s on as spokes, you can do an autonomous bridge at your hub using P2MP bridging on the 2.4GHz radio. 1500 series APs are lightweight only, so you’d need to look at a 1240, 1260 or 3500 for something like that.

Justin

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Torrance,

If you enable client access on the backhaul link of the 1552, then you can have non-mesh-backhaul associations on that radio. I have done this successfully with Cisco 1410 outdoor bridges. The Yagi antenna is not a functional software aspect, it is a hardware and physical aspect of the way the energy from your 352s is focused and radiated.

Aren’t the 350 series APs 2.4GHz only? 1552s are .11a-side (5GHz) backhaul only. There is support for .11b-side backhaul in the slightly older 1522, configurable from the CLI, but this is, of course, not recommended because of the numerous issues with limited spectrum, congestion, etc.

If you want a less expensive spoke node, you might consider a 1262 in an weather-rated enclosure. You don’t necessarily need to go all the way up to a 1552 on your spokes in order to make the bridging work.

Alternatively, if you really have to keep your old 352s on as spokes, you can do an autonomous bridge at your hub using P2MP bridging on the 2.4GHz radio. 1500 series APs are lightweight only, so you’d need to look at a 1240, 1260 or 3500 for something like that.

Justin

Yes, the client was wanting to use their old 352's until they could be swapped out with 1552's. Thank you for your thorough answer!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card