Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Replacing Intel with Cisco in Centrino laptop

Has anyone had any success using a Cisco wireless card, either the 350 or mini-pci in a Centrino laptop.

I'm trying both cards and the ACU ver 6.0 is not allowed to control the card. The cards work when controlled by Windows XP but the card won't associate when using choosing a profile under the ACU.

Also, any laptops with a driver for the Intel mini-pci that supports leap, Intel is not providing one.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Replacing Intel with Cisco in Centrino laptop

Have you made sure that under the network adapters config in Windows that use windows to control wireless adapter is un checked.

Also in the ACU under profile selection that the correct profile is slected and that allow another application to control the adapater is not checked.

Yes and Yes.

It is strange. When I let xp control the card the status tab on the ACU works. Whenever I try to select any profile, open, wep or leap using the utility I can't get associated.

I uninstalled, reinstalled with no success. I've tried using the ACU on multiple "centrino" laptops with no success.

Cisco Employee

Which client adapter are you using ?

Air-pcm352 and AIR-MP20B-A-K9 (mini-pci)

Cisco Employee

So what was the wireless card to make the Centrino specs ??

The way I understand it to be labeled as a centrino laptop it MUST have a 802.11 card built in.

I am wondering if you have a confilict betweent the 2 cards ??

The other point to remember is that the MP20B is only for use in a AP and for OEM use in laptops. Cisco does not support after market installation of a mini pci cards in laptops. The main reason for this is that none of the laptop manufactures would warrent their laptops if it was opened to the level needed to install this card There are a number of Laptop manufactures who use this card as the OEM card. IBM is one example but there others also So if you want a laptop with a Cisco card built in your best option is to get one of them that already has this card

Views
Helpful
Replies