Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset Cisco 1140 Access Point

jon becker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need help resetting the Cisco Aironet 1140 model AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9.  I need to access its web browser but I don't know the password.  I perform the mode reset method, but that didn't do anything.  Maybe I have to access its CLI, but that I don't know how.  Any help would be gladly appreciate. 

Thanks.

31 Replies 31

ISHANT VARSHNEY
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Default username password for AP is Cisco/Cisco.

From the model name it looks like your AP is in lightweight mode "AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9".

Now two things:

1.) Is you need to access it via CLI:

telent/ssh is disabled on LWAP(lightweight APs) by default. We can only access them via console cable unless they get registered to a controller.

2.) If we have to access the Web interface of the AP then we have to first convert these LWAPs to autonomous mode. There is no web GUI in LWAPs and for the conversion process we'll need console connection to the AP.

Thanks,

Ishant

*** Please rate the answer if you find it useful ***

Hi Ishant,

I am having a hard time accessing the CLI.  Once I plug the RJ-45 into the AP and the com port into the PC, where do I go from here?  Oh, and thanks for your prompt reply.

-Lee

Do you have the correct console cable and the com port setting?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1140/autonomous/getting_started/guide/ap1140aut_getstart.html#wp37156

What do you see from the output from the console?  You need to be able to get into the console in order to help you figure out the issue.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

The setting for the COM1 is 9600, 8 data bits, 1 stop bits, none parity, and XON/XOFF flow control.  So when I open putty and click open, nothing happens.  And yes, I am using a female db-9 to RJ-45 cable.

If you don't see any output, then try a different usb to serial and or a different machine.  The usb to serial seems to be an issue to many when accessing any Cisco wireless equipment.  Other equipment seem fine.

-Scott

I'm not using a usb to serial, or do I need a usb to serial adapter?

For console access.... yes you do and the blue Cisco flat console cable.

-Scott

Okay.  I will let you know the update once I have the adapter.  Thanks for your help. though.

Actually, I got putty to open.  I just have to change the connection type in putty from SSH to Serial.  Now the console window opens and it prompt ap>

Now post the show version

-Scott

ap>show version
Cisco IOS Software, C1140 Software (C1140-K9W7-M), Version 15.2(2)JA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 23-Aug-12 03:15 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1140 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C1140 Boot Loader (C1140-BOOT-M) Version 12.4(23c)JA3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ap uptime is 6 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c1140-k9w7-mx.152-2.JA/c1140-k9w7-mx.152-2.JA"
Last reload reason:

So by this, you have an autonomous AP, which is good, unless you have a WLC.  So now, you need to configure the AP.  Here is the 1142 Getting Started Guide to walk you through the configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1140/autonomous/getting_started/guide/ap1140aut_getstart.html

Here is another doc you can reference:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/61936/autonomous-ap-and-bridge-basic-configuration-template

-Scott

What do you mean by WLC?

Its another device... if you don't have one, then you don't have to worry... just follow the guides I have posted and you will be able to web into that AP and configure it.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card