cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

reset router password

mattsoftnet
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 1601 router. I'm trying to reset the password over the console port, but I'm having some trouble, I've never done this before. I'm trying to follow the directions in a pdf I found, but the router is saying the config-register command doesn't exist.

Easton>confreg 0x142

Translating "confreg"

% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address

2 Replies 2

mattsoftnet
Level 1
Level 1

sorry. somehow this went to the wrong forum

Hi,

1) - Before reloading, note the value of the configuration register from "show version" command, generally 0x2102

Router#sh ver

Configuration register is 0x2102

2) - reload the router:

Router#reload

if havenot the access to the router (lost password) make a cool boot

3) - Type the break sequence during bootup to enter the ROM monitor mode (ROMMON):

"ALT-B" or "ALT-C"

4) - Use "confreg" command to change the value of the configuration command to make the router ignore the startup configuration in the next bootup:

Rommon1>confreg 0x2142

5) - reboot by typing:

i

6) - Break the setup system config dialog or type "n" to not erase the NVRAM Backup config file

7) - restore your startup config and change the password

8) - Now you can restore the config registry value from 0x2142 to 0x2102:

Router(config)#config-register 0x2102

!!!!NOTE that with a physical access to the device you can do everything you want, so first and before anything make sure that your devices are physically secured!!!!

I hope this will help you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card