cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Roaming 350 bridge between 2 sites

hgauci
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 sites separated by a 5km sea. I want to connect a LAN on a ferry to only 1 site at a time (limited by ETSI-regulated power and hence range). Can I use an all-bridge design and have the 350 bridge on the ferry roam between the two sites? How shall each be configured (in terms of root and non-root).

I will be having a separate point-to-point link to join the two sites.

1 Reply 1

don.forbes
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up a 350 bridge and a 12 db omni antenna on a tug. There is a 13.5 db yagi on the roof of the port admin building at the bottom of the inlet. I get good copy out to about 15KM, when he is not behind a ship. I’d think about something similar in your case, yagis on both terminals with the omni and root on the ferry. At 5KM depending on the topology, it will probably see both sides and bridge them together. With the other link between the two terminals, spanning tree on that network will permit finding the ferry even if it only sees one terminal. When the ferry sees both terminals, spanning tree will block the point-to-point link. You might want to tune the spanning tree parameters for faster convergence times.

Don

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card