Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Roaming between WLANs on different WLCs

Hello,

Is it possible to create the same SSIDs on two different WLCs that are not in a failover or mobility group but have an interface on the same network so that users can connect to those SSIDs automatically without having to do it manually?  For instance, If I'm in one location and connected to SSID-A on WLC1 then go to another location in the same campus would I be able to automatically connect to SSID-A on WLC2 without having to do it manually?  This is assuming that the SSIDs on both WLCs are set up the same.  Thanks!

Regards,

Terence

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Roaming between WLANs on different WLCs

Sure... the question is if there is 100% wireless from site A to site B?  WLC being on the same mobility group helps with roaming between WLC's as long as the clients keep a connection.  This doesn't matter if they loose a connection.  Most install these days have a global SSID for internal users and or guest, etc that is implemented everywhere.

And yes, the SSID has to be setup the same!

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
7 REPLIES

Sure... the question is if there is 100% wireless from site A to site B?  WLC being on the same mobility group helps with roaming between WLC's as long as the clients keep a connection.  This doesn't matter if they loose a connection.  Most install these days have a global SSID for internal users and or guest, etc that is implemented everywhere.

And yes, the SSID has to be setup the same!

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Thanks Scott for your quick response!  Here's the deal, we have 2 locations that are connected to our main campus via an Ethernet Private Line fiber link.  They are about a couple of blocks away.  We are deploying wireless to both locations but my manager is looking to have guests that come from one of these locations to the main campus to be able to get connected to the same SSID that's managed by a different controller.  It's obvious that they'll lose connection due to the distance between the remote and main offices.  So are you saying this will work or it won't work since the connection will be lost once they travel far away enough from the APs?

It will work... I'm just talking about seamless roaming which requires the client have a connection.... Since they will loose connection from going from site A to site B, then that no issue.  Have the SSID configured the same and it will work fine.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Ok, cool.  I'll test this out and then will rate your response.  Thanks again!

No problem.... it's no different than going to a coffee shop in one location and going to another, they use the same SSID which is the key.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

You are correct, sir!  I was just able to test and it worked perfectly!  Thanks again for help!

No problem!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content