Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Roaming Question

Hello Netpros,

I have the following quiz for you:

My question is related with the following setup: 1 wlc, 2 lwapp (ap A and ap B), 2 dynamic interfaces ( vlan 1,network 10.10.10.0 and vlan 2 network 20.20.20.0), 2 wlans (interface vlan 1 - ssid TEST-wlan id=20 and  interface vlan 2 - ssid TEST, wlan id=21), lwapp A broadcasts ssid TEST wlan id=20 and lwapp B broadcasts ssid TEST wlan id=21

So, when a user roams from access point A to access point (due to the same ssid) , will he receive a new ip address or the wlc will consider this as l2 roaming and will not force user to reassociate??

I wii perform some tests on this but i wanted to have your feedback as well

thanks

Everyone's tags (2)
4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Roaming Question

since everything connected to same WLC this should be a layer 2 roam & client IP should not change.

BUT you are doing it sligthly different way to the normally how you should do it. Even though you are using same sSID name, you are using two different WLAN IDs, so it it is two different WLANs from WLC perspective.So you may get two different IP when roam (as wlan changes)

What you should do is delete a WLAN & have a single WLAN (lets say id =20). Then create two AP groups APG1 & APG2. In APG1 add wlan TEST with interface vlan 1 & in APG2 add wlanTEST with interface vlan 2. Then add one AP to APG1 & other AP to APG2. Then everything should work perfectly as L2 roam in this scenario.

HTH

Rasika

***** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Re:Roaming Question

Hello Rasika,

Your feedback is appreciated!
Please consider the following:
1)change of the ip while roaming is essential for this project
2)what i have observed so far is that the ip is preserved while roaming.
I know it sounds strange and this defeats the purpose of roaming but we need to do it this way.
Is it a controller,s decision if the user has to request a new ip since he is moving to a different subnet?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

VIP Purple

Yes it is a strange requirement

Anyway in this case having your APs in a single WLC won't work. What I can think of is two APs managed by two different WLC & no mobility configured between controllers. As long as same SSID having two different subnet dynamic interfaces user should re-authenticated & get different L3 addresses when they move one AP to the other.

You should give a try & see

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses *****

Hello Rasika,

Unfortunately the use of a second wlc is not an option!

How can i capture (debug) the roaming of the user between the 2 access points?

I need to justify/narrow down the actual cause of this problem. As you already mentioned, it seems that the wlc cant control the user's ip settings while roaming to another subnet. As a reference, i ve read another vendor's documentation, were their guest solution would support a DAT Dynamic Address Translation, meaning that the user doesnt have to change their ip but the controller will handle them and perform DAT(nat) for them. but for cisco wlc that's not the case...!

Views
Helpful
Replies