Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Rouge access points

Hi,

How does the 5508 handle rouge access points? Will it by default stop them?

Thanks

Everyone's tags (3)
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rouge access points

it depends.  There are rules that you can/need to setup on how you are going to deal with 'rogues'

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080722d8c.shtml

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Silver

Rouge access points

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Rouge access points

Will it by default stop them?

By default, Cisco WLC will only report rogue APs.  Auto-contain is, by default, disabled and I don't recommend you enable this unless the AP is to be installed in the moon or the ISS.

Why?  Because if you enable this, ALL rogue APs will be contained.  And when I mean ALL, I mean all the APs inside and outside your premises.  This means any AP that may belong to another organization or company.

I do "attack" rogue APs but only when I am 100% sure the APs are located INSIDE my premises. 

4 REPLIES

Rouge access points

it depends.  There are rules that you can/need to setup on how you are going to deal with 'rogues'

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080722d8c.shtml

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Bronze

Rouge access points

Thanks for the link and fast reply.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Rouge access points

Will it by default stop them?

By default, Cisco WLC will only report rogue APs.  Auto-contain is, by default, disabled and I don't recommend you enable this unless the AP is to be installed in the moon or the ISS.

Why?  Because if you enable this, ALL rogue APs will be contained.  And when I mean ALL, I mean all the APs inside and outside your premises.  This means any AP that may belong to another organization or company.

I do "attack" rogue APs but only when I am 100% sure the APs are located INSIDE my premises. 

Silver

Rouge access points

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content