Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RSSI Signal ranges

I am troubleshooting a problem where just one user

is having a problem.  They intermittently drop their wifi

connection.  If they do a repair, the connection comes back up without a problem.

No other user is having a problem at this location (at least that has been reported to me).

I am getting ready to have them look at upgrading the wireless driver and/or recreating the wireless profile on the machine.

My question is there an explanation of the RSSI signal ranges (i.e. what is bad, good, better, etc) ?  For example, the user that is having a problem is showing a RSSI that is ranging between -74 to -78.    I know that Cisco VOIP phones start having problems at -70.  I have to deal with a regional IT person that I need to present the info to him in this way.

Ron

1 REPLY

Re: RSSI Signal ranges

Hi Ronald,

At -84, you will most likely lose connection completely.

At -80, you can't use all data rates and are probably facing a lot of retransmissions.

At -75, the signal is considered as poor, you might have some retransmissions but you should still have connectivity.

In any case, at around -75, the driver should be thinking about roaming. So it's either a bad driver (not roaming) or there is simply no better AP around.

There is no general values since this differs on all clients, but what I wrote above is a good approximation. Starting -75, the client start to lower data rates.

Best regards,

Nicolas

===

Please rate answers that you find useful

Views
Helpful
Replies