cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W Router -Configuring network secure from open wireless

Mark000037
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to set up an open wireless network for web access only and keep the 2nd WPA wireless network and the internal wired network secure from this open network.  Not finding any clear indication of how to do this in the manual.  Tnx for any advice.               

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mark,

I am not sure aboutu your product, but you can use private VLANs to separate VLANs traffic.

ACLs is something that can sometimes be used.

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mark,

I am not sure aboutu your product, but you can use private VLANs to separate VLANs traffic.

ACLs is something that can sometimes be used.

Regards,

Amjad

Amjad - you were correct about VLAN being the answer and I eventually figured it out.  Since this router provides multiple wireless networks, I was surprised that the manual didn't outline how to do this since creating a public and private network would be one main reason to buy this product.

The default setting is for everything to be on VLAN1.  I created a 2nd VLAN for the open wireless network with a different IP subnet and defined a DHCP range and once I figured out that "Inter-VLAN Routing" needed to be enabled on both VLANS, then everything worked.  I suppose that "Inter-VLAN Routing" is how VLAN 2 gets across to VLAN 1 and the gateway, but it doesn't allow connections to anything on VLAN 1 except the gateway.  This is what I wanted.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card