Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Same-subnet multicast on AP1232AG

I'm having difficulty getting same-subnet wifi multicast (SSDP) to work on a multi-vlan AIR-AP1232AG.

I have two wifi stations associated to the same SSID on the same autonomous AP. The topology is:

Station1 / Station2 ))) AP --trunk-- L2 Switch --trunk-- Router

The router can see appropriate IGMP memberships from both stations. I've run a packet capture on the AP>Switch interface and multicast packets are making it from the wireless to the wired infrastructure just fine. Further - the stations can ping multicast listeners on the wired infrastucture - eg. Router will respond to Station1 pinging 224.0.0.2.

If I put one of the wifi stations on the guest SSID then multicast between the two stations works fine.

When I was running this AP as single SSID / single bridge-group (with slightly different configs), same-subnet multicast worked fine.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA.

Platform details

Station1 = LG TV

Station2 = Android Mobile

AP = AIR-AP1232AG IOS 12.3(8)JED1

L2 Switch = NME-16ES-1G-P IOS 12.2(58)SE2

Router = 2821 IOS 15.1(4)M6

Everyone's tags (3)
2 REPLIES

Same-subnet multicast on AP1232AG

I resolved this by changing the ciphers on the radio interface to aes-ccm instead of aes-ccm tkip; I suppose the combination was confusing the stations' ability to communicate with each other. I'd only configured both due to not really understanding WPA/WPA2 properly.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Same-subnet multicast on AP1232AG

To understand it better, the standard for WPA v1 is to use TKIP. The standard for WPA v2 is AES. So IEEE didn't standardize for WPA v2 with AES and TKIP or any various mixtures and that is why clients have trouble connecting as you have seen. So you need to only need to configure only one or the other.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content