Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second DHCP Server for second SSID

I have Internal DHCP Server configured on the Cisco WLC 5508 and all is working fine.  DHCP Range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.245.

Now I created another SSID but I want clients connecting to this SSID get specific IP's or from a specific range.  WLC has no option to bind a DHCP pool to a specific IP so what I did I checked the option to "Override DHCP" and added the IP of my firewall WLC is connected to and setup a DHCP Pool on that firewall as 192.168.1.89 to 192.168.1.94 (192.168.1.88/29).

Client can connect to the second SSID but can't grab and IP address, what am I missing ?  Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mohammad,

when you use a firewall as a DHCP server, you have to diable DHCP proxy on the WLC.  But in your case, since the WLC is acting as a DHCP server, you have to have it on.

If you were to move the .100-.245 scope to a router or switch, you could disable proxy and all should work.

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
6 REPLIES

Mohammad,

when you use a firewall as a DHCP server, you have to diable DHCP proxy on the WLC.  But in your case, since the WLC is acting as a DHCP server, you have to have it on.

If you were to move the .100-.245 scope to a router or switch, you could disable proxy and all should work.

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Ah ok that is what I was afraid of, ok makes sense thank you so much for your help.

thank you for supporting the rating system!

Steve

Steve

Why should he disable the DHCP proxy when using the firewall .

Thanks

NikhiL

FW devices don't like proxy.  I believe it's because they want DHCP in a broadcasted format, and not proxied.

Steve

Thanks Steve for the explanation

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content