Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Selecting router for small office wireless LAN

I tried to set up my LAN with a Linksys wireless b router but it is not producing a signal strong enough to reach a back office (best I get is 30%, usually 12-17%)There are walls (brick and glass) in the LOS. The linksys booster actually lowered the signal strength back office.(30% down to 12%).

Can you suggest a better router or other solution that will get the job don but not overkill. I don't want to break the bank doing this.I have to stick with the b standard because I have a TiVo back office that requires that for now.

Bob Keen

Cisco Employee

Re: Selecting router for small office wireless LAN

Hi Bob,

There is a number of solutions with different hardware including a 800 series router and an AP1200 or AP1100

But I would try the "free" stuff first, from what you have describe you have a far from idea environment for a radio network. Have you tried different placement of the access points, I would expect you will be able to find a spot where you place the AP that will give you the coverage you need in all areas, use the site survey tools on the client and then move the AP to a new spot and walk around the areas you need covered.

If the access point that you have has removeable antenna's then higher gain antenna will also assist

CreatePlease to create content