Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Setting up 5508

I need to set up a fancy new 5508 wireless controller, but I was a little confused about one thing:

The management interface is obviously the one through which we map the wireless vlans, etc.

On the switch side, this is set up as a dot1q trunk yes? However, I don't see any "trunking" options on the controller. Is the management interface on the 5500 series a trunk by default? Or is there something I am missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Setting up 5508

Colin,

you got it in one. The switch needs to be configured to be a dot1q trunk, and the WLC is by defalut a dot1q trunk.

just remember to prune the unused VLAN from the interface/port-channel so that the WLC doesn't have to process unnecessary traffic.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
3 REPLIES

Setting up 5508

Colin,

you got it in one. The switch needs to be configured to be a dot1q trunk, and the WLC is by defalut a dot1q trunk.

just remember to prune the unused VLAN from the interface/port-channel so that the WLC doesn't have to process unnecessary traffic.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Re: Setting up 5508

the other little gotchya is to get the native vlan on the trunk correct and set the management interface as untagged or vlan 0.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Re: Setting up 5508

Due to QoS I would not native the management interface (vlan 0). Tag all your WLANs and the managment interface. Cisco finally mentioned this in 7.x config guide. For years its been native, which is wrong. This way you can simply trust CoS on the WLC side (trunk) and be good. Otherwise, you would need a QoS policy map to trust the native.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content