Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Setting up Aironet 1142n as repeater

Hi,

I've just recently purchased the Aironet 1142n and am hoping to set it up as a repeater. I've followed the documentation here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1-chap19-wgb-standby.html#wpxref31658
but am still having problems.

What I'm trying to achieve is:

I have an adsl router (TP-link W8960N) at the front of the house but the wireless signal does not reach all the way to the end of the house. I am trying to set up the aironet 1142n to act as a repeater and place it in the middle of the house and hopefully that will extend the wireless signal to the end of the house and remove the dead spots. I would like to do this without having ethernet cables running all over the place and have been trying to configure the aironet 1142n to no avail. Every time I set the aironet 1142n to "repeater" it automatically coverts back to "access point" under role of radio network.

I guess my main question first of all is, can I set the aironet 1142n as a wireless repeater? And if so, where am I going wrong in my configuration?

I've just read that "

Repeater access points running Cisco IOS software cannot associate to parent access points that that do not run Cisco IOS software."

Does this mean the aironet 1142n set up as a repeater will not work if the original access point (in this case, the TP Link adsl wireless router) isn't a cisco brand?

Thanks,

Karen

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES

Re: Setting up Aironet 1142n as repeater

Hi,

Cisco APs will not unfortunately work as a repeater with TP link. Sorry. It works only with cisco that runs IOS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Amjad,

Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if you could recommend a cisco product that will work with my TP-link router then? I am looking to cover 20m or so.

Thanks,

Karen

Karen: Im not aware about any cisco IOS based device that will help.

I suggest that you post you question in small business -wireless section. If they know such a product they will help.

You can also look for TP repeater since your AP is TP already.

HTH

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content