Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Setting up Cisco Aironet 1250 for home use

Hey everyone,

I'm rather new to the whole Enterprise Router lines. I've set up countless networks with Linksys routers in the past. However, this Aironet is giving me more trouble than I'd want it to. I was wondering if anyone could help. I've assigned it an IP Address and accessed that In-Browser interface and set up an SSID and activated the two extensions. I've been able to connect to the router with my computer and access the internet without restriction. However, when I attempt to connect a second PC or Laptop to the network, it won't allow network access to the second device. I've been stuck there forever. Is there any specific setup method I need to use to make sure more than one workstation/device? I want to use this router for home use, I often use laptops and move around the house a lot, so the advantage of better connection signal and speed is well worth it. Any help is highly apprieciated. If you need more information, don't hesitate to contact me.

32 REPLIES

Re: Setting up Cisco Aironet 1250 for home use

Multiple devices should be able to connect with out an issue.  Did you set any values for number of connections?  Can you attach the config?

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Not that I know of. I never set any values for the number of connections. I used the In-Browser interface to set it up. I don't know how to get the config stats, can you help out with that? Thanks for your time.

It would help to know how the 1250 is connected to other devices in the network.  Is the 1250 your only device and connected directly to a router or modem?  Is it plugged into a switch?  If you can give me some more info, I can get you through configuring the AP.  If you know how to connect to the AP using a console cable, login.  Assuming you didn't remove the default account, you should be able to reach the user level mode immediately, which is usually the hostname 'ap>'.  The forward caret tells you you're in user mode.  Enter the command 'enable' and it will ask you for the enable password.  By default it's 'Cisco'.  If you did it right, your prompt will change.  Again, if the AP is still has a default host name, you'll see 'ap#'.  The pound sign tells you you're in privileged mode.  You can now dump the running configuration by typing 'show running-config'.  Copy and paste to a notepad file and post here.  You can also download the config via the GUI, but I'm so adept these days at the command line that I actually forgot how to do that!

Regards,
Scott

The router is connected directly to my modem by means of a power injector over POE. It's the only router in the network. I do know how to use the CLI to an extent, so I'll get the config up soon. Thanks for the help so far.

Thach -

You said your router is plugged into your cable modem by means of a PoE injector.  Please clarify for me if you mean to say 'ap' instead of 'router'.  If you are plugging your AP directly into your cable modem, then the AP would have to be performing NAT and routing, something I'm not sure if the 1250 supports.  I will have to look further at the config guide once you tell me your logical diagram.  If you could, show me something like this (which is how my 1250 is connected):

TW cable modem ----> Cisco 881w Router ----> Cisco 3548XL Switch ----> Cisco 1250 AP

Regards,
Scott

Cisco Employee

What I guess is happening (I have the similar situation with my cable modem) is that the cable modem acts as DHCP server for 1 ip address (it expcets one workstation or a NAT router).

The laptop that connects gets this ip address.

Unless you configure NAT, you can't have multiple devices.

Nicolas

Sorry for my late reply. Here is the config:

It wasn't connected to anything. This was a raw pull from a fresh cold boot.

IOS Bootloader - Starting system.
Xmodem file system is available.
flashfs[0]: 150 files, 7 directories
flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 31868928
flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 6406144
flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 25462784
flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 16 seconds.
Reading cookie from flash parameter block...done.
Base Ethernet MAC address: 54:75:d0:dd:b5:12
Loading "flash:/c1250-k9w7-mx.124-10b.JDA3/c1250-k9w7-mx.124-10b.JDA3"...##################################################################################################################################################################################################################

File "flash:/c1250-k9w7-mx.124-10b.JDA3/c1250-k9w7-mx.124-10b.JDA3" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000
executing...

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
           170 West Tasman Drive
           San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco IOS Software, C1250 Software (C1250-K9W7-M), Version 12.4(10b)JDA3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sun 07-Jun-09 03:50 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x01000000

Initializing flashfs...

flashfs[1]: 150 files, 7 directories
flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 31868928
flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 6406144
flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 25462784
flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 4 seconds.
flashfs[1]: Initialization complete....done Initializing flashfs.

Warning:  the compile-time code checksum does not appear to be present.
Radio 1 A600 8000 0 0 A8030000 30
Radio 1 A600 8000 0 0 B8030000 13
tx_paks 1293
tx_paks 646

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com. AIR-AP1252AG-A-K9    (PowerPC 8349) processor (revision C0) with 49142K/16384K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1423902R
PowerPC 8349 CPU at 533Mhz, revision number 0x0031
Last reset from power-on
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
2 802.11 Radio(s)

If

cisco

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 54:75:D0:DD:B5:12
Part Number                          : 73-10425-06
PCA Assembly Number                  : 800-27630-06
PCA Revision Number                  : B0
PCB Serial Number                    : FOC142025F4
Top Assembly Part Number             : 800-29039-03
Top Assembly Serial Number           : FTX1423902R
Top Revision Number                  : A0
Product/Model Number                 : AIR-AP1252AG-A-K9

Press RETURN to get started!

*Mar  1 00:00:06.211: %SOAP_FIPS-2-SELF_TEST_IOS_SUCCESS: IOS crypto FIPS self test passed
*Mar  1 00:00:07.039: %SOAP_FIPS-2-SELF_TEST_RAD_SUCCESS: RADIO crypto FIPS self test passed on interface Dot11Radio 0
*Mar  1 00:00:07.543: %SOAP_FIPS-2-SELF_TEST_RAD_SUCCESS: RADIO crypto FIPS self test passed on interface Dot11Radio 1
*Mar  1 00:00:09.587: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
*Mar  1 00:00:09.591: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
Cisco IOS Software, C1250 Software (C1250-K9W7-M), Version 12.4(10b)JDA3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sun 07-Jun-09 03:50 by prod_rel_team
*Mar  1 00:00:09.591: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host Cisco1250 is undergoing a cold start
*Mar  1 01:37:52.027: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0, changed state to up
*Mar  1 01:37:52.027: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to up
*Mar  1 01:37:52.707: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to reset
*Mar  1 01:37:53.467: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to reset
*Mar  1 01:37:53.467: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0, changed state to down
*Mar  1 01:37:53.847: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to down
*Mar  1 01:37:54.467: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down
*Mar  1 01:37:54.695: %CDP_PD-4-POWER_OK: Full power - INJECTOR_DETECTED inline power source
*Mar  1 01:37:54.703: %DOT11-4-NO_HT: Interface Dot11Radio1, Mcs rates disabled on vlan 0 due to not using AES encryption or
*Mar  1 01:37:58.303: %DOT11-6-FREQ_USED: Interface Dot11Radio1, frequency 5180 selected
*Mar  1 01:37:58.307: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to up
*Mar  1 01:37:58.307: %DOT11-4-NO_HT: Interface Dot11Radio0, Mcs rates disabled on vlan 0 due to not using AES encryption or
*Mar  1 01:37:58.311: %DOT11-6-FREQ_SCAN: Interface Dot11Radio0, Scanning frequencies for 13 seconds
*Mar  1 01:37:59.307: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to up
*Mar  1 01:38:00.307: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to down
*Mar  1 01:38:02.931: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to up
*Mar  1 01:38:11.919: %DOT11-6-FREQ_USED: Interface Dot11Radio0, frequency 2462 selected
*Mar  1 01:38:11.923: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up
*Mar  1 01:38:12.923: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up
Cisco1250>enable
Password:
Cisco1250#show running-config
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1717 bytes
!
version 12.4
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname Cisco1250
!
enable secret 5 $1$jDeQ$cFdx0aHAd8wj8tk6CCmXq/
!
no aaa new-model
!
!
!
dot11 ssid Home Network
   authentication open
   guest-mode
!
power inline negotiation prestandard source
!
!
username Cisco password 7 05280F1C2243
!
bridge irb
!
!
interface Dot11Radio0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
!
encryption key 1 size 128bit 7 23D0220D02AE7FA723492AA01E34 transmit-key
encryption mode wep mandatory
!
ssid Home Network
!
station-role root
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
no bridge-group 1 source-learning
no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
!
interface Dot11Radio1
no ip address
no ip route-cache
!
encryption key 1 size 128bit 7 0B4935657C801B3620154AB56630 transmit-key
encryption mode wep mandatory
!
ssid Home Network
!
dfs band 3 block
channel dfs
station-role root
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
!
interface GigabitEthernet0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
duplex auto
speed auto
bridge-group 1
!
interface BVI1
ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
!
ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag
snmp-server community Community RW
bridge 1 route ip
!
!
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
login local
!
end

They way I connect it in the network is as follows:

BrightHouse Networks ISP Modem --> Cisco Aironet 1252 --> Incoming connections from computers and laptops.

Any ideas?

Is there any news on how to do this? I think what I need to do is set up an NAT as someone suggested before. I need some help on how to do that. Thanks.

Thach -

I'm your man, but I've got a newborn at home and a 3 year old.  Plus it's Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm recovering from having had guests overnight at my home.  I'll try to get to it tonight or Sunday night.

Regards,
Scott

Thach -

A quick search through the IOS Command reference guide for the most current IOS release of the 1252 doesn't show any NAT support.  This is also confirmed with the command lookup tool.  I'll do a final verification with my AP at home, but it's doubtful that your config will work.  You'd need a router in between the cable modem and AP at a minimum, as NAT is typically a function that operates on a router or other L3 device (i.e. multilayer switch).

Regards,
Scott

So, you mean I would have to have a router in between the router and AP?

In such case, would this work?:

Modem --> TM VOIP Linksys Router --> Cisco 1250 AP

NOTE: I've already tried to set it up this way, it also did not work.

I can easily reset the AP the factory defaults and set it up again if there is any way to do it. Your help is very apprieciated.

Regards,

-Thach

Thach -

Yes, that would work - assuming that VoIP router supports NAT.  Some VoIP routers are strictly VoIP only, and are really only ATA devices that convert IP packets to analog for a phone.  What is the model of the Linksys product you speak of?  Is it the kind you get when you purchase services such as Vonage?  I could setup a time to 'conference' with you.  I use the free LogMeIn service at https://join.me.  It supports remote control and chat.  This way, I'd be able to look at the devices in your network and get a better understanding of what they support.  I'm on the east coast in UTC -5 timezone.  What works for you?

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

This is an WRTU54G-TM Linksys VoIP home network router. I also live on the East Coast, UTC -5. I do believe the router supports NAT, when I hook up the AP to one of the router's Ethernet ports. It works with multiple clients fine, but doesn't supply internet. I'm open 5PM Saturday, I'll see what we can dp. Thank you for the help, Scott.

-Thach

Hey, Scott.

I've just figured it all out. I had to run the AP through the router to have it work, but it kept turning up problems. I had a past issue like this so I changed the ip add of bvi1 to 192.186.0.254 so it wouldn't have an ip conflict with the router's ip (192.168.0.1). Thanks for all the help. It works now, so all's well that ends well. Thanks again!

Best regards,

-Thach

Yep, that'll do it!  Glad you figured it out.

Cisco Employee

Hi,

1250 AP is a layer 2 device only. NAT cannot be done on AP.

NAT is to be done on a layer 3 device like a Router.

Regards,

Madhuri

So, you mean I would have to have a router in between the modem and AP?

In such case, would this work?:

ISP Modem --> TM VOIP Linksys Router --> Cisco 1250 AP --> Incoming connections from devices

NOTE: I've already tried to set it up this way, it also did not work.

I can easily reset the AP the factory defaults and set it up again if there is any way to do it. Your help is very apprieciated.

Regards,

-Thach

Hie

I would liek to buy 4 Cisco Aironet 1260 Access Points, i just want to use them independantly so  iwant to know do they work without the Wireless LAN Controller? or i have to have the controller for them to work?

Thanks

Bonnie

Cisco Employee

Hi, please create your own discussion instead of using somebody else's question.

The 1260 don't have yet a software to run without a controller.

Nicolas

thanks

Hi guys,

Me again, so I was thinking about what you've suggested with using a switch for the AP. I found an old Linksys SD208 8 port 10/100 switch at the thift store. I came home and set everything up and found that the AP will again refuse to accept more than one client at a time.

Here is the set-up

Internet

-> Modem

--> Linksys Switch

--->Port 1

-Internet from modem

--->Port 2

-Cisco Aironet 1252 AP

--->Port 3

-T-Mobile Linksys WRTU54G-TM Router

--->Port 4

Empty

--->Port 5

Empty

--->Port 6

Empty

--->Port 7

Empty

--->Port 8

Empty

The router works fine, it's just the AP that is acting up.

Thank you for the help!

-Thach

Cisco Employee

As we already mentioned, the AP doesn't do NAT and doesn't share internet connection, it's not a router. So it needs to be behind a NAT router.

Nicolas

Thach -

I'm not sure what the Linksys supports, but you'd have to do 'router on-a-stick' since the Linksys probably only supports L2 functionality.  Make sure the router is connected to a trunk port on the switch and that the native VLAN is set correctly on the trunk.

Regards,
Scott

I see.

Well then, what switches are capable of supporting NAT? I'd rather not link it though the router, as it slows down transfer speeds.

Thanks again for the prompt help.

Thach -

You need a multilayer switch then.  They're not cheap.  You could get a 2960 or 3560 8 port switch that does L3.  You might be able to find something on eBay or Craigs List.

Regards,
Scott

Would this one work?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/2108280276.html

I found it through a simple seach.

-Thach

Thach -

That one definitely will not work.  I gave you model numbers of some current generation equipment that will support L3.  The oldest switch I can think of that might support layer 3 is the 3550 series with the enhanced image, but that's an assumption I'm making (I'd have to actually research it).  If it were me, I'd attempt to use the setup you have to make mysefl (i.e. you) stronger at understanding and configuring network technologies.

Regards,
Scott

Thach -

My 3550 XL does support 'ip routing' and 'interface vlan x', which are indications that the box supports some layer 3 functions.  But the current IOS does not support NAT, and the feature navigator doesn't show that any of the old stuff does (that's why I suggested at least a 2960/3560).  Again, this is because layer 2 boxes don't support NAT.  This is why we call switches that do support them 'multilayer'.  These are expensive due to the ASICs required to perform that work.

Regards,
Scott

Ok, another update, and thanks for the help so far.

I've just made a purchase for a Cisco 2960 8 port switch ( Exact model: WS-C2960PD-8TT-L ), I reckon this is what I need, so far I've gone through the Express Set-up and configured it through there with no problems. I've set upthe hardware in the following manner:

-Internet Modem

>Port 8 on Switch

->Port 1 on Switch goes to 1252 Cisco AP

->Port 2 on Switch goes to Linksys VOIP home Router

I let it set up and can connect to the internet through the AP, and through the router. (I'm posting through the AP-Switch set-up right now.) However, once I connect to the AP with a second client. It refuses to work, as it would a direct connection/the linksys switch I tried before.

I'm going to assume this is due to NAT not being configured through the command line on the switch yet. I'll look into that, any advice on the set-up/suggestions are highly welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Views
Helpful
Replies