Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Setting up indoor mesh network

I'd like to set up an 802.11n network, and the shape of my building suggests that 2 access points would do the job. If at all possible, I'd like to run an ethernet cable to only one of the access points. So it seems I need to setup a mesh network (similar to what appears can be done with the 1130 or 1240 series). Is this possible to do with the 1140 series (or in a worst case scenario the 1250 series)? Or is there another way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Setting up indoor mesh network

First of, have you considered having a Wireless Site Survey conducted? A properly conducted Wireless Site Survey will eliminate guesswork: You know how many AP's are needed and where to install.

1140 vs 1250

1. Both the 1140 and the 1250 can do N Draft 2.0.

2. 1140 requires 15.4 watts of power. You need either a switch that will provide Standard PoE or a power injector/power brick.

3. 1250, on the other hand, requires 18.5 watts of power (if you intend to use BOTH radio modules). If you don't have a switch that will provide enhanced PoE (ePoE), such as the 3560-E & 3750-E, then you have the following options:

a. Remove one of the modules;

b. Power Injector (both radios fully operational).

c. Wireless LAN Controller using 5.2.X Firmware (full radios but signal strength is curtailed).

Other than what I just mentioned, the 1140 is designed for office environment: lots of walls, corners, compactors, glass, etc.

The 1250 is designed for industrial use: wide-open space such as aircraft hangars, warehouse, bunker, etc.

Hope this helps your choice.

Re: Setting up indoor mesh network

Thanks for your response. I did consider a site survey w/hardware, but I'm throwing caution to the wind and just going for it :-0 (i.e., given the size and shape of the building I doubt that one AP will cover it, but I "know" that 2 AP's will -- and when I have the AP's I'll take measurements and move them around to obtain optimum coverage).

But what I'm really trying to figure out is how to create a wireless network with at least 2 AP's, only one of which will have an ethernet connection. I believe one way to do this is with a mesh network and it appears that this can be done with the 1130 or 1240 series, but they do not support the 'n' standard (which I want). And if it's not possible to create a mesh network with the 1140 (or 1250) then I was wondering if there was some other means to accomplish my goal.

Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies