cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Setting up wireless Cisco Access Points 1602i AIR-SAP1602I-Z-K9

Hello,

I am technician in a school. I have been asked to upgrade wireless system in school. Currently I am using VDSL2 30Mbps line. I am using E4200 Router, which is providing internet services. The school has 3 floors. On one floor I have this router which is further attached with 16 port gigabit unmanageable switch. The same router is providing wireless service on the same floor using Class C ip address. From the switch I have extended a cable and took it on to another (second floor), where I have got one more gigabit switch. From that switch I have connected one router using different subnet and further i have attached two access points for the entire floor, which is working ok. From the same switch I have extended one more cable up to third floor where I have connected one more access point. So, 3 access points on three floors, 2 switches and two router. This is the current network layout.

Now school have decided to go over to fiber. ISP is going to put Juniper router and going to create vlan and will configure access restrictions. School will have 100Mbps unlimited up and download speed. Its because of increase in number of students. School is still waiting for the router and configuration to be done.

I have got 4 cisco 1602i access points (AIR-SAP1602I-Z-K9). These access points are POE supported. I have got one 8 port POE switch also. When I got these 4 cisco I didnt get power adapters with them. First I want to ask, is this normal. Don't they usually come with power adapter. I know they are POE, but cisco doesn't send them with power adapters.

Second I want to ask, if these access points can work independent without WLAN controller. Or do i have to have WLAN controller.

As fiber is not up yet so, for the time being I have connected these access points with POE switch using Cat5E cable and then further connected the POE switch with normal gigabit switch, which is further conneted with router at this point.

Please tell me if I am doing it correctely. I will also be needing help with the configuration.

Can anyone tell me how to setup these access points independently for current situation to provide internet access. How to set them on different channels etc......

Also want to know if there is any software that can detect access points and can help me manage these access points.

I shall be thankful.

Sarab

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Setting up wireless Cisco Access Points 1602i AIR-SAP1602I-Z

These access point you purchased are indeed standalone. You can tell by the prefix of "SAP". If the prefix were "CAP", that would require a WLC.

Typically you would have one router and multiple switches. Maybe a switch in each floor or multiple switches per floor connected back to the core.

The AP's don't ship with power adapters. These are order able separately.

It's hard to say how and if your network is designed properly or not. Have you have your local Cisco SE visit or maybe the vendor since you bought a Juniper router? They can or should be able to guide you on the network piece since they probably know how things are setup in your network.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Community Member

Hi,

I have managed to configure the Cisco Access Points 1602i AIR-SAP1602I-Z-K9, but the bandwidth speed they are providing is not sufficient. Now I have 100Mbps bandwidth speed on fiber, but at the access points the speed varyies between 17 to 25Mbps. Every accpess point is providing this speed.

Can you please tell me where I need to make changes or where I am doing wrong. One more thing, Laptops are able to connected to 2.4Ghz band but only mobiles are able to see the 5Ghz band.

Please advice.

Thanks

Community Member

Sorry to bother you again,

Hi,

Just to add,

I have Juniper Srx210 configured as backbone for  providing internet on fiber. Then further I have attached one POE switch  (managable). From that switch I have attached 4 access points.

One  more thing,two ports of Juniper is configured as Vlans, one for staff  and one for students. I have attached this POE switch to Student Vlan,  but haven't configured ports of POE switch as trunk. Please tell me do I  have to configure ports as trunk on POE Switch. Is this the cause of  slow bandwidth over access points.

I am  also planning to go for Wlan Controller to manage Access points. When I  contact my supplier about it, he told me the following:

"You just need to convert the Access points to autonomous mode. Here are    some details, there is no additional charge."

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3889653

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_NuxdRhQ4

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14960

I looked at the links but couldn't understand properly. Then I searched over the internet  and found out that

"a  cisco autonomous access point basically runs on its own while a   lightweight access point uses a centralized device called a wireless lan  controller to get its configuration.  autonomous access points are  managed  individually, while the lightweight access points can be  managed centrally.  also, the switchport configurations to support both  types of access points will  differ. "

I didn't understand, why he suggested to go for Wlan  controller and to upgrade access points to autonomous mode, when  according to above finding, it says that autonomous access points runs  individually. I want to manage them.

The controller I am going for is Cisco Air CT2504 Wireless 4 x RJ45 LAN Controller

Please advice.

I shall be thankfull

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Setting up wireless Cisco Access Points 1602i AIR-SAP1602I-Z

I replied to your new thread.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Duplicate posts. 

Go here:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2267482