Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

setup outdoor wireless

I work at a garden. We have many activities in the summer. I setup outdoor wireless using Cisco 1310 wireless bridges, one is root bridge and other is non-root bridge. I find if the non-root bridge behind a tree, the signal reduce from excellent to low. I am using Omni directional antenna. If I have Yagi antenna, will that help? Can I add another AP/repeater/bridge behind the non-root bridge? If yes, how to configure them? Or any other suggestion.

The configuration can be found here:

Sample of Cisco 1310 Wireless Root Bridge

http://www.howtonetworking.com/cisco/rootbridge.htm

Sample of Cisco 1310 Non-Root Bridge Configuration

http://www.howtonetworking.com/cisco/nonrootbridge.htm

3 REPLIES
Green

Re: setup outdoor wireless

Wireless absolutely relys on line-of-sight between nodes.

The Yagi will help only if you steer it around the trees so that it can "see" the other antenna directly ... and by a good clear path ... not "I can see a corner of the antenna if I lean way over this way..."

It absolutely has to be a clear path.

Good Luck

Scott

Thank you. Can I add another AP or repeater? If yes, how?

This is what we like to do.

Building Switch +++ cat 5 +++ Root Bridge ? 100 feet ?-- 1st Non-root bridge ?-- 200 feet 2nd non root bridge. Between the root bridge and non-root bridge is limited 100 feet because there are some trees and it is not clear path.

So far first two bridges (root bridge and 1st non-root bridge) works fine. We would like to cover more area and we may have another wireless client that can?t reach the 1st non-root bridge, so we need to add 2nd non-root bridge. Do you think if this design is possible? If yes, how to configure it.

Views
Helpful
Replies