cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Should I send my 5760 WLC to my DR Site?

wrainwater
Level 1
Level 1

Im just now getting serious with wireless as I have the 300-255 exam coming up at the end of March

Right now I currently have two 5760 controllers acting as one via stack cables. I am about to purchase two 5508's and do the same but will still have the 5760s as well. It will be a waste to just get rid of em. We have a disaster recovery site which we use to fail over when times get rough over on campus. We manage around 213 AP's total.  Would it make sense to move the 5760 controllers over to the DR Site in the event of a data center failure? (we recently had one where a guy was changing batteries in our backup datacenter UPS which caused a power surge along with the entire data center shutting down. needless to say all the users on campus were mad because they could no longer work. with a wireless failover they would at least have that.)

What would you guys suggest?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"Right now I currently have two 5760 controllers acting as one via stack cables. I am about to purchase two 5508's and do the same but will still have the 5760s as well."

I would not buy any 5508, it is EoL announce product & 8.5.x is the last supported software release. 5760 also EoL & no development of IOS-XE software releases on that. There is no feature parity between AireOS & IOS-XE, so you can't maintain same services if you use 5508 & 5760

I would buy pair of 5520 & use it as HA pair. Do you have direct fibre connectivity between your primary & secondary DC. If that is the case you can use those two 5520 in different DC as well.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi

Of course you should keep it and arrange it in the way that you can benefit of it in the event of your wlc cluster went down.

Just try to keep both of them on the same software version just to avoid unnecessary software download. 

Also, when change AP model make sure it will be supported on both platform.

Not everyone has the luxury of to have HA SSO / N+1 HA. If you do, go for it.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

How would you recommend I set the thing up? put the 5760's at the dr site? what mode should i put it in?

Only the outdoor AP's wont be compatible with the 5760 because they are so new

If you have AP that does not join the backup wlc then is complicated. But, anyway you can configure the HA cluster with the backup WLC as N+1 HA.

Take a look about N+1 HA, it is pretty easy to setup.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

"Right now I currently have two 5760 controllers acting as one via stack cables. I am about to purchase two 5508's and do the same but will still have the 5760s as well."

I would not buy any 5508, it is EoL announce product & 8.5.x is the last supported software release. 5760 also EoL & no development of IOS-XE software releases on that. There is no feature parity between AireOS & IOS-XE, so you can't maintain same services if you use 5508 & 5760

I would buy pair of 5520 & use it as HA pair. Do you have direct fibre connectivity between your primary & secondary DC. If that is the case you can use those two 5520 in different DC as well.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

If you are that CCIE with that blog site i will tell you i visit it every day! its cool to see you still out and about helping others using the knowledge you obtained. I will take your advance 

Hi

Yes, I am if you are talking about mrncciew.com :)

Thanks for kind remarks & encouraging us to keep coming back to CSC &  help people like you

Regards

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card