Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Simple wireless AP with HWIC-AP, no IRB, WPA

Good day,

I want to setup an HWIC-AP-G-E on a 2811 running IOS 12.4(24)T2 (SP Services) as a simple access point.

The requirements I'm working with are as follows:

1. Avoid the use of IRB. We can dedicate a subnet to wireless clients instead.
  2. Wireless service should work for an out-of-the-box, relatively recent windows/mac/linux/smartphone (i.e., not requiring manual installation of certs, etc).
  3. Use at least WPA for a relatively decent encryption.

Nice to have but not required:

1. Avoid the use of shared keys, using user/password instead.
  2. Client isolation.

From one of the examples I have read, it seems possible to have user/password authentication using an internal Radius server. This would be nice (optional feature #2) if it can be done in such a way that clients don't need manual configuration (requirement #2).

At this point I have read many docs and examples that don't provide quite what I need. To make it more fun, half of them configure the ssid under the dot11radio interface, and the other half use the (newer?) dot11 ssid syntax. So another thing I need to ask is, what is the recommended place for the ssid config to live? (guess under dot11?)

Any hints, pointers and examples appreciated. Thanks!

Everyone's tags (2)
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content