Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Site Surveys

I am conducting some inside site surveys, I have a lot of documentation on doing a survey and have good equipment but one question I have is what should be the minimum signal strength or quality that I want to look for? For example I am thinking that a signal strength of 10 percent is as low as I want to go and would consider that the edge of the range for that access point. I am just wondering if there is a suggested limit or rule to go by.

Thanks for your help in advance.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Site Surveys

Hi ,

It depend upon how much bandwidth is required for your application .

As you move away from AP , throughput decreases from 11 to 5.5 to 2 to 1 .

Now Signal Stregth is DIFFERENT THAN singnal quality . Good Signal Strength does not mean always good singal quality .

What you should look for is SIGNAL QUAILITY . Multipath reduces signal quaility .

I would day keep more than 30% signal quality . There is no guide line for deciding this threshold . It is upto your desing that how much overlap you want between two adjacent cell .

Roaming of users not only depend on signal strength and quality it is also depend on # of hope the backbone is away and other factors ....

I hope this helps ....

The tool I am using it is easier to see strength than quality. I have always been putting more emphasis on quality because you are right that quality is more important than strength. We have a Fluke Optiview with the wireless option and it does a good job showing strength and throughput. The big point you pointed out is application requirements which not only is going to be hard to measure, we have a lot of different users with different requirements.

Thanks for the info and stimulating some more thought on this.

Our rule of thumb is a minimum Mb connection. As an example, we will guarantee at least 2 Mb at any location that is covered by wireless. This works well for us. Keep in mind that the type of device you are using makes a big difference too. We use mostly hand held units for our warehouse operation. The radio is not as strong as a laptop with a wireless NIC. With this in mind, we survey with the hand held unit.

Please find the attached document.

Views
Helpful
Replies