Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Slow download speeds with Linksys WRT160N V2 router

I have a Linksys WRT160N V2 wireless router that I am using with my Comcast Internet service. When I connect to the router via cable, I get download speeds up to 52Mbs (per www.speedtest.net). When I test my wireless connection, I can only get download speeds up to 14.5 Mbs, even though the Windows “Wireless Network Connection” speed shows 54.0 Mbs. I also verified this with another laptop, and got the same results. I also checked upload speeds, both wired and wireless I get the same speed of 11 Mbs.

Is there some reason I can’t get faster download speeds with a wireless connection?

Thanks,

Dean

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES

Dean:
your RF environment could be not clear (noise, interference) or your area causes reflections (mettalic furniture, floor and/or ceiling).

Check if there are other wireless network around. Those causes interference and hence a lot of delay due retransmittions.

As a quick solution, try to change the channel in your wireless router or set the channel choice to automatic.

HTH

Amjad

You want to say "Thank you"?
Don't. Just rate the useful answers,
that is more useful than "Thank you".

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Hall of Fame Super Silver

You should see faster time on a wired device than wireless.  What you need to know also is that wireless is half duplex and that means, a 54mbps connection will get you at max half of that, which is around 27mbps.  So if your wireless and wired are pretty slow, then maybe replace the cable from the router to the modem with a new cable and test again.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Here is some further testing I did last night.  I took the router out of the entertainment center to remove possible interference from other electronics, moved my laptop two feet from the router and retested.  Same result, so noise, interference and reflections are ruled out.  I even reset the router back to factory defaults and retested with the same result just to make sure that some of my test settings weren't the cause.

I am beginning to think that either both laptops have wireless cards that will not support actual transmission speeds greater than 15 Mbps, or the router does not. I find it strange that Windows is telling me that the wireless speed is 54 Mbps, but I can only achieve an actual speed of 14.5 Mbps.  I know that the router is capable of sending and receiving faster than this, because I am able to get 52 Mbps when connected via a cable.  (BTW, I pay for 50 Mbps service from Xfinity, so I am getting from them what I pay for.)

Any other suggestions?

Views
Helpful
Replies