cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Software that ships on new Cisco 2504's

jcox00004
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question regarding how Cisco ships new products.

I just convinced my company to purchase Cisco wireless gear even though they were concerned about hidden costs.

I just opened the 2504 box and the checked the version of the software. It's version 7.0.220.0 which is dated 25-Oct-2011. The manufacture date on the bottom of the physical unit says MFG DATE: 05 2013

What I'd like to know is why is the software on my brand new unit 2 years old when there've been nearly 20 updates since then?

That's kind of like buying a 2013 car off the dealers lot then finding out when I get home that it's actually a 2011 model under the hood and now I must pay nearly the entire cost of the unit simply to download current software that should've come on the unit to begin with.

What gives?

5 Replies 5

When your ordering hardware you have to select the software version you would like to come with it. Based on that cisco will ship the software on the hardware platform ordered.

I would say whoever make the BoM for this order did not pick the latest software code. That's the reason why it comes with 7.0.220.0

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

That makes sense.

From what I recall, there was never an opportunity to select software version while ordering this unit.

Thank you for your reply Rasika.

Regards,

JeffC

If your company is the end-user you can state on your PO what version you need and they will ship controller with that version.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's right, while ordering you might have mentioned the software version of 7.0 in the BOM.So, they shipped you the older version of software.

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

Yes this can be due to the fact software version was mentioned while ordering in any case you can download the latest version from the cisco website.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: