Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SSID dynamic interface mappings in AP groups

Hello, I have a few questions about mapping SSIDs to interfaces within AP groups.  My controller is running 7.4.110 and has about 150 APs configured to the controller. 

5508 Pair in SSO mode for all APs

50 are on the same campus as controller. (APs in Local Mode) 

100 are at 40 other WAN sites.(APs in FlexConnect Central Authentication, site based DHCP)

3 SSIDs broadcast to all sites

Corp - 802.1x

Warehouse - WPA2-PSK-Mac Auth

Guest - Wide Open with a Ts& Cs that you accept very similar to a hotel

Controller Interfaces

Management Interface

Warehouse Interface - Dynamic

Guest Interface - Dynamic

I configure AP groups for each remote location. My question is this:

For these remote locations in the AP group configuration, should I map all the SSIDs to the management interface, or should I map it to the dynamic interface?  I.E. Corp --> Management, Warehouse --> Warehouse, Guest --> Guest.

For the local APs, I do the mapping SSID to each interface, but I'm not sure it matters for my remotes. 

Help is greatly appreciated. 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Re: SSID dynamic interface mappings in AP groups

For your remote office FlexConnect APs,

If WLAN is configured for Local switching, then users will be getting IP from the interface you map under vlan mapping section in AP configuration.(default interface assign under WLAN general or AP Group WLAN config section is not an issue)

If WLAN is configured for central switching, then you have to assign correct dynamic interface under the WLAN ->General section or AP Group WLAN configuration.

Below Ciscolive material will give you good overview of all the available option & design guide.

BRKEWN-2016 Branch Office Wireless Architecture

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hall of Fame Super Silver

When using local switching, the interface only affects the local mode access points, not FlexConnect access points. Of course you can always use a bogus interface and use ap groups to define the WLAN to interface mapping. On FlexConnect local switching, the WLAN to vlan mapping is done in the FlexConnect access point.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Cisco Employee

there is no probelm as mentioned earlier.. just in case if a local mode AP registers to this WLC and if this WLAN is broadcasted on this AP and of the clients connect then the clients may fetch IP from the dynamic interface maped to the WLAN..

thats the only problem

Regards

Surendra

7 REPLIES
VIP Purple

For your remote office FlexConnect APs,

If WLAN is configured for Local switching, then users will be getting IP from the interface you map under vlan mapping section in AP configuration.(default interface assign under WLAN general or AP Group WLAN config section is not an issue)

If WLAN is configured for central switching, then you have to assign correct dynamic interface under the WLAN ->General section or AP Group WLAN configuration.

Below Ciscolive material will give you good overview of all the available option & design guide.

BRKEWN-2016 Branch Office Wireless Architecture

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

For the Local Switching option, can I choose other interface except the management one? Except DHCP server pickup are there other implications when choosing the interface to which the WLAN will be mapped?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

When using local switching, the interface only affects the local mode access points, not FlexConnect access points. Of course you can always use a bogus interface and use ap groups to define the WLAN to interface mapping. On FlexConnect local switching, the WLAN to vlan mapping is done in the FlexConnect access point.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I meant FlexConnect local switching, so I will rephrase:

For the FlexConnect Local Switching option, can I choose other interface except the management one? Except DHCP server pickup are there other implications when choosing the interface to which the WLAN will be mapped?

Cisco Employee

Yes you can.. thats not a problem.. since  the swithcing is happening on the remote site

Everyone,

Thank you for responding. 

Is it a best practice to assign these flex connect AP SSIDs to the management interface, or is it a best practice to assign them to the corresponding dynamic interface? 

I realize it works both ways, but didnt know if there was an advantage or reccomendation one way or the other. 

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cisco Employee

there is no probelm as mentioned earlier.. just in case if a local mode AP registers to this WLC and if this WLAN is broadcasted on this AP and of the clients connect then the clients may fetch IP from the dynamic interface maped to the WLAN..

thats the only problem

Regards

Surendra

Views
Helpful
Replies