Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

stable code for WLC, PI, MSE

Greetings everyone,

I'm in the process of finalizing the firmware version for a Greenfield installation.

In addition to stock standard WLC features (hreap,802.11n,cleanair, bandselect, eoip etc),  I require  N+1 HA.

Based on the depolyment guide  HA N+1 is supported on 7.4.110 so  we sre covered there.

WLCs would be 5508s and APs would be 2600i.

For monitoring the plan is to go for PI 1.3.20 and  for location services MSE (VE) 7.4.110.

I'm aware that there are newer versions for WLC and PI but stability is what I'm really after.

It would be great if anyone can confirm that this cocktail will not give us any suprises down the track.

Thanks in advance.

cheers,

janesh 

• Getting Started with Wireless
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Hi Janesh,

We are running WLC 7.4.111.5 (7.4MR2 pre-release version), PI 1.3.0.20 & MSE 7.4.100 in our production environment.

We had number of issues with PI previouse patches. Recently patched to latest & things working for the moment.

Since this is a green field deployment, I would suggest to think about little bit ahead with those platform versions. Controller version 7.5 (already there) & 7.6 is due to release soon. If those are on the road map for this customer, I would suggest to go for PI 1.4.x instead. (as 1.3.x -> 2.0 -> 2.1 path is completely different track to PI 1.4.x -> 2.1 track). Eventually it will merge...

Stability issues always be there & we have to live with it..

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: stable code for WLC, PI, MSE

It really varies on your environment also and what you want to have as far as features. It doesn't matter that you have purchased PI1.2 as you can still bring up PI1.3, PI1.4 or even PI2.0 so you are covered there. Stability as far as N+1 is 7.4.110.0 MR1. MSE is very stable if you ask me and depends if your looking at doing analytics or not as the licensing changes when you go to v7.5. As far as PI goes, I typically have clients on PI 1.4 as PI 1.2 is to be avoided. There are various mix and match you can have with PI and MSE depending in if you need analytics/CMX.

Keep this matrix handy as it's a great reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
10 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi Janesh,

We are running WLC 7.4.111.5 (7.4MR2 pre-release version), PI 1.3.0.20 & MSE 7.4.100 in our production environment.

We had number of issues with PI previouse patches. Recently patched to latest & things working for the moment.

Since this is a green field deployment, I would suggest to think about little bit ahead with those platform versions. Controller version 7.5 (already there) & 7.6 is due to release soon. If those are on the road map for this customer, I would suggest to go for PI 1.4.x instead. (as 1.3.x -> 2.0 -> 2.1 path is completely different track to PI 1.4.x -> 2.1 track). Eventually it will merge...

Stability issues always be there & we have to live with it..

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

Thanks for your informative reply.

The customer has purchased PI 1.2 as either 1.3  nor 1.4 were not in the ordering list as the purchase was done sometime back. Thanks for letting me know about the upgrade path on each.

I will check with the customer about the underlying  VM enviornment and the server capabilities before making any suggestions :-)

Your last point is well taken.

cheers,

J

It really varies on your environment also and what you want to have as far as features. It doesn't matter that you have purchased PI1.2 as you can still bring up PI1.3, PI1.4 or even PI2.0 so you are covered there. Stability as far as N+1 is 7.4.110.0 MR1. MSE is very stable if you ask me and depends if your looking at doing analytics or not as the licensing changes when you go to v7.5. As far as PI goes, I typically have clients on PI 1.4 as PI 1.2 is to be avoided. There are various mix and match you can have with PI and MSE depending in if you need analytics/CMX.

Keep this matrix handy as it's a great reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Hi Scott,

Thanks very much for your input and the link.

I was not ware of the software compatibility matrix this will come in handy for sure.

Will go through this today to finalise the mix.

With MSE analytics is not in play here only. It is primarily for basic location services, and to get the full benefits of cleanair  + awips.

update:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/1.4/release/notes/cpi_rn_14.html

mentions that 1.4 is recommended for firmware 7.5.

cheers,

J

VIP Purple

Hi Janesh,

Keep in mind these PI upgrades are not always smooth as docuemnts describe.. So I would always go for a major version (either 1.4 or 2.0 in the current two tracks) & then stick onto it until next major release comes (I believe 2.1 in both cases). These two tracks are having completely different database structures (so you cannot downgrade once you go to 1.4) & could have complications if you are upgrading to 1.4 path. Refer below post as well.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4005458#4005458

Also I would prefer to do a fresh install (rather upgrade) & then imports (maps) on to new version with appropriate licence.

Cisco keep changing licensing/etc on these versions & you should  be aware of those as well. Since it is a fresh install for you,  get Cisco to give you appropriate licenses if customer purchased 1.2, but now you want to go to 2.0 or 1.4.

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

Thanks for the interesting link. it is a mine field out there.

Analysing the customer  requirments, features  and VM environment , I have settled for

7.4.110 (wlc and mse) with PI 1.3.20. Although it is tempting, I decided not go with 1.4 as Cisco recommends 1.4 to deployed with 7.5.

Based on release notes,  PI 1.3.20 "should be"a  straightforward install so I'm expecting a smooth ride.

cheers,

J

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I've got two pairs of WiSM2 with AP SSO and running 7.5.X.  No problems.

WCS is old:  7.0.220.0.

Thanks for your input Leo

That is a good safe setup to use. The PI 1.2 license doesn't matter because you will have to provide the vudi of the VM in order to obtain the correct license. I have used an NCS with PI and PI 1.2 sku for PI 1.3, 1.4 and 2.0 with no issues.

Follow this link for the license.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2127651?tstart=0&viewcondensed

Also keep in mind, the license portal has an issue and if your hostnames is lowercase, the portal creates a license with the hostnames of the VM in upper case. If this is an issue, just open a TAC case with licensing and they will provide you with a new license. You can open the license up in a text editor to verify.

Views
Helpful
Replies