cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static setting the lwapp AP ip address

yong1794
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to set the static ip address to lwapp AP? If I have changed the controller management ip address, The lwapp AP is not discover and join the controller without DHCP server. right?

I have tried to set lwapp AP ip address by console, but failed. Is any good idea?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Yong,

If you do sh flash: you will see an env_var file. Can you try deleting that file and try to enter same command once again.

Regards,

Ankur

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Why don't you connect your AP to the same subnet on which your management interface is and cofnigure DHCP pool for management subnet so that when AP comes up it will first send a broadcast on same subnet and if AP and controller magagement interface are on same subnet , AP will be able to discover controller management IP address and will join.

Just change the switch settings on which you have you AP to vlan on which you have your management interface.

Also what procedure you tried to assign a static ip address to your AP?

Regards,

Ankur

The lwapp AP is AP1131AG converted ios to lwapp. I have set by "lwapp ap ip address x.x.x.x" command in CLI. but failed. May be this command blocked.

Is DHCP Server mandatory in controller base design?

If the lwapp AP had static ip address, should be deployed another subnet network later, I think this lwapp AP could not join to controll without DHCP Server.

Our netwok is divided with several VLANs and controller and AP's are differnt subnets.

Hi Yong,

No DHCP server is not mandatory in controller base design but DHCP server give a ease in network setup.

Can you tell me the exact error message which you get while giving that command is the error message like "command disable"?

Can you post the error message and also show flash from your AP.

Regards,

Ankur

Below is the log on lwapp AP.

Even also i can not change AP hostname and controller ip address. May be these commands are blocked for some reason.

AP0016.c875.2d34#lwapp ap ip address ?

A.B.C.D static IP address

AP0016.c875.2d34#lwapp ap ip address 10.0.0.10 255.255.255.0

ERROR!!! Command is disabled.

AP0016.c875.2d34#lwapp ap controller ip address 10.0.0.1

AP0016.c875.2d34#lwapp ap hostname test_ap

Thanks.

Hi Yong,

If you do sh flash: you will see an env_var file. Can you try deleting that file and try to enter same command once again.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I have tried that way, but failed.

But I have found description below about lwapp AP ip address configuration on cisco web site.

"The access point stores the address in

NVRAM so that the static address is preserved across a reboot or power cycle. This is important to remember because an access point static IP address can only be changed through a WLC interface. If you move a statically addressed access point to a different IP network, it will not be able to forward traffic."

If i have to change lwapp AP's ip address, the WLC is needed.

Anyway, Thanks your support.

Regards,

Yong

Hi Yong,

An acces point always falls back to DHCP server if you have a static ip address which is unreachable. It attemots using a static ip address first and later falls back to DHCP.

AP1010 take somewher near 15 min approx for the same and APs like 1130 etc atke some more time.

Also can you paste me the output of your "sh flash"

Regards,

Ankur

Hi,

This below is sh flash output.

AP_1#show flash

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 7192 Sep 15 2006 16:25:37 +00:00 private-multiple-fs

3 -rwx 211 Sep 15 2006 14:21:53 +00:00 env_vars

149 drwx 128 Sep 13 2006 15:23:06 +00:00 c1130-rcvk9w8-mx

7 drwx 256 Sep 15 2006 13:53:29 +00:00 c1130-k9w8-mx.123-11.JA

Regards,

Yong

Hi Yong,

I found the way which can help you assigning a new static ip address on your AP thoug its tedious.

You can take your AP out of network. Console into it and reload it and hit a break key to take it to rommon mode and then issue a command "flash_init" and then hit a command "set" and you will see your enviroment variables.

You can use "set" and "unset" command to change the ip address variable from there and then boot command will boot you AP with changed configuration.

Try this and update if that works for you. I will wait for the results.

Regards,

Ankur

Actually, all I needed to do was run this command first:

clear lwapp private-config

And then I was good to go.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card