Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop AP from switching controller

Hi,

I have a somewhat special situation where, due to politics, I can't have certain APs joining certain controllers but I can anchor wlans and have mobility.

Now and then the APs switch controllers and I have to go in and set the priority to the correct controller so they switch back.

Is there any way to completely stop APs from switching controllers? I have tried to find this in the documentation but can't find it.

BR Henrik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Hi,You can use the Authorize

Hi,

You can use the Authorize AP's against AAA function to make sure that the AP registering to your WLC are authorized AP of the network.

By enabling this feature, only those AP whose mac-addresses are present in the authorization list in the wlc , will be able to register to the WLC.

Security >AAA> AP Policy then first select the box for Authorize MIC APs against auth-list or AAA.

Then add the mac address of AP (Which you want to join to this WLC).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-lan-controllers/98848-lap-auth-uwn-config.html#backinfo

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

10 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Disable AP Fallback to

Disable AP Fallback to prevent the AP from going from the Secondary to the Primary. 

If you don't want the AP to go to Secondary then you remove the Secondary controller details.

I have tried to find "Disable

I have tried to find "Disable AP Fallback". Where do I find that setting?

BR Henrik

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Go to Wireless > Access

Go to Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration and look for AP Failover Priority.  Change this to "Disable".

Leo, that is for priority,

Leo, that is for priority, not to enable or disable fallback itself.

Thanks anyway.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Henrik,  Correct.  If you

Henrik, 

Correct.  If you disable AP Fallback Priority how can the AP fall back?  They can't.  

Leo,That setting has never

Leo,

That setting has never been enabled on any of the controllers we have and the APs fallback anyway.

According to the documentation it controlls the priority only, not the whole function as such.

BR Henrik

VIP Purple

You can set the Primary WLC

You can set the Primary WLC and Secondary WLC IP and name on specic AP.

They will change the WLC once the primary is down.

How to do it:

Go to WIRELESS > ALL AP’s > Click on the AP name > High Availability and enter the anme and IP of the primary and secondary WLC.

Check this Post:

http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/ap-failover/

Regards

Thanks Sandeep, That I know

Thanks Sandeep,

That I know and have done but I don't want the AP to fail over at all to the secondary. So I have nothing in the secondary. But they keep failing over because of lower latency to that controller.

BR Henrik

VIP Purple

Hi,You can use the Authorize

Hi,

You can use the Authorize AP's against AAA function to make sure that the AP registering to your WLC are authorized AP of the network.

By enabling this feature, only those AP whose mac-addresses are present in the authorization list in the wlc , will be able to register to the WLC.

Security >AAA> AP Policy then first select the box for Authorize MIC APs against auth-list or AAA.

Then add the mac address of AP (Which you want to join to this WLC).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-lan-controllers/98848-lap-auth-uwn-config.html#backinfo

Hope it helps.

Regards

Interesting Sandeep. Thank

Interesting Sandeep.

Thank you, I will try this and let you know how it went.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content