Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

support more than 48 access points with 44xx controller in L2

Hi.

I have been reading the guide "Configuring ports and interfaces in 4400" and I have one dude about how can I support more than 48 AP in 4400.

The guide says "The access point then joins the controller using that isolated VLAN with Layer 2 LWAPP. All Layer 2 LWAPP traffic received on ports 2, 3, and 4 egresses the management port (configured as port 1) on VLAN 250 with a dot1q tag of 250."

And The problem is:

If I put the APs in access mode (in the switch), as it says in the guide, the LWAPP traffic egress the controller with the tag of vlan 250; and if The traffic is tagged and the AP is on access mode, why the controller can communicate with the AP (there are two broadcast domains)

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FYI... the 1131 and the 1242 do not support layer 2, only the old 1000.

Basically what is say's is since this is layer 2 and not layer three, you setup your vlans 992, 993, 994 on your switch network connected to the access points only and ports 2, 3 and 4 on a WLC4404-100. These vlans are just for access points and not users..... all traffic will come from an ap and enter port 2, 3 or 4, but will talk only to the network on port 1 vlan 250. These vlans are not routed but trunked back to the controller if needed.

Layer 3 is the prefered and probably the most implemented today.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi. Thanks for the answer. Sorry but I still don't understand the cuestiong. The LWAPP traffic ingress in the controller with the Vlan 992 and egress the controller in the same Vlan (I suppose). But the user's traffic ingress in the access vlan and eggress the controller in the Vlan correspondig (Mapping WLAN-VLAN). Are this correct??

Thanks!!

Data traffic egress the ap on vlan 992, ingress the controller on vlan 992 (since port 2 is configured as access port on vlan 992) egress the controller out of port 1 vlan xxx depending on what ssid you map to a vlan.

You have to remember that these vlans: 992 (port 2), 993 (port 3)and 994 (port 4) are isolated vlans since access points are only connected to these vlans. In short, port 2, 3 and 4 on the controller belong to only one vlan. Port 1 is trunked, and is configured for vlans for: ap-manager and management, service port and dynamic interface.

--------------------------------------------

Port 1 dot1q trunk vlan 100, 101 & 102

vlan 100

ap-manager & management

vlan 101

open

vlan 102

secure

------------------------------------

vlan 992

port 2 (access port) up to 48 ap's

vlan 993

port 3 (access port) up to 48 ap's

vlan 994

port 4 (access port) up to 48 ap's

--------------------------------------------

Remember, ap's converted to lwapp and 1131, 1242 lwapp ap's do not support layer 2 only layer 3. the 1000 series lwapp support layer 2.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card