Views
Helpful
Replies

Terms for installed WLAN

struckmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

how can we evaluate an installed WLAN if is good or bad?

Base is an WLAN within 150 AP (1242 with 1x WLSE) over 4 Locations and approximate 200 Users per Location.

Thank you for any Answers.

Marco

3 Replies 3

shh5455
Level 3
Level 3

I recommend using a tool such as AirMagnet Surveyor to map out the coverage. You can also use a free tool like netstumbler to walk through and spot check coverage, but it is not as accurate.

Hello shh5455,

yes its right. We used Ekahau for messurement. But we locking for similarly as an offical Checklist, to demonstrat our customer, that this installation is right or (unfortunately) bad.

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

Marco,

Log into the WLSE and review the devices which are reporting to it, ensure all devices are in there.

While the tools mentioned by the gentlemen before me are all well and good it misses the mark a tad. Review if you informed them to do any sort of deployment for Voice. Voice and data requirements are quite different.

review your 'Faults' in the WLSE, if you see alerts concerning high number of retries (ie 600/700 retries per min) i would bring this to their attention.

Review the documentation that they give you... Did they properly alternate channels? Only channels 1,6,11 do not overlap.

If your buildings are in multiple different states/provinces... You can do a spot check, most adapter client utilies permit you to do a site survey of sorts. The cisco ACU has a nice tool which will allow you to see SNR and signal strength. I have included the minimum signal strength and minimum signal to noise ratios below as posted by Cisco.

Speed...MinSig..MinSNR

54......-71.....25

36......-73.....18

24......-77.....12

12/11...-82.....10

6/5.5...-89.....08

2.......-91.....06

1.......-94.....04

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card