Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

The right way to convert Autonomous AP to LWAP

Hi guys,

Just finished the conversion of one Autonomous AP to LWAP and based on the experience I have some questions:

1. When converting a running Autonomous AP "in production" does the configuration is kept and some settings applied to LWAP config? My answer is YES, but I would like to know what settings are common for both?

The command I used for conversion: archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://172.17.233.10/c1240-k9w8-tar.124-25e.JAO3.tar

2. After converting let's say for some reason LWAP can't join the controller, but on the AP console there is a lot of debug and error messages that keep coming. I was trying to add commands like:

capwap ap ip address 10.10.113.5 255.255.255.0

capwap ap ip default-gateway 10.10.113.1

capwap ap controller ip address 10.10.111.10

but the console log level was hellish. Is there any command for LWAP mode to silent the console? Something similar to logging console emergencies 

3. When things go wrong and LWAP can't join the WLC, priming is there to help. I was using capwap ap controller ip address 10.10.111.10, but I know there is another command capwap ap primary-base "Cisco WLC" 10.10.111.10 Is there any difference between these two?

4. What is the command on LWAP to setup DNS server and sufix domain name.

5. Back to question 1, on a newly converted LWAP I inherited a tricky configuration; how can I start from scratch, how can I clear/erase LWAP startup-config? clear capwap private-config is the answer? Is there "a best method" for this?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

1. When converting a running

1. When converting a running Autonomous AP "in production" does the configuration is kept and some settings applied to LWAP config? My answer is YES, but I would like to know what settings are common for both? The command I used for conversion: archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://172.17.233.10/c1240-k9w8-tar.124-25e.JAO3.tar

> There is nothing kept between the two. With the old conversion tool, you could keep the IP address if you wish, but when converting newer AP's, their is nothing that is transferred over.

2. After converting let's say for some reason LWAP can't join the controller, but on the AP console there is a lot of debug and error messages that keep coming. I was trying to add commands like: capwap ap ip address 10.10.113.5 255.255.255.0 capwap ap ip default-gateway 10.10.113.1 capwap ap controller ip address 10.10.111.10 but the console log level was hellish. Is there any command for LWAP mode to silent the console? Something similar to logging console emergencies

> Nothing to disable that

3. When things go wrong and LWAP can't join the WLC, priming is there to help. I was using capwap ap controller ip address 10.10.111.10, but I know there is another command capwap ap primary-base "Cisco WLC" 10.10.111.10 Is there any difference between these two?

> Same thing, but this command is what's preferred when establishing a join capwap ap controller ip address 10.10.111.10

> DNS is available in the WLC after the AP has joined.

5. Back to question 1, on a newly converted LWAP I inherited a tricky configuration; how can I start from scratch, how can I clear/erase LWAP startup-config? clear capwap private-config is the answer? Is there "a best method" for this?

> Erase the NVRAM

debug lwapp console cli

debug capwap console cli

erase /all nvram

Example: Entered the username and password

debug capwap console cli

erase /all nvram:

[confirm]

undebug all reload

[confirm]

Hold reset for over 30 seconds to get to ROMMON

ap:delete flash:private-config

ap:delete flash:private-multiple-fs

ap:boot

Your AP will be factory default

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
5 REPLIES

1. When converting a running

1. When converting a running Autonomous AP "in production" does the configuration is kept and some settings applied to LWAP config? My answer is YES, but I would like to know what settings are common for both? The command I used for conversion: archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://172.17.233.10/c1240-k9w8-tar.124-25e.JAO3.tar

> There is nothing kept between the two. With the old conversion tool, you could keep the IP address if you wish, but when converting newer AP's, their is nothing that is transferred over.

2. After converting let's say for some reason LWAP can't join the controller, but on the AP console there is a lot of debug and error messages that keep coming. I was trying to add commands like: capwap ap ip address 10.10.113.5 255.255.255.0 capwap ap ip default-gateway 10.10.113.1 capwap ap controller ip address 10.10.111.10 but the console log level was hellish. Is there any command for LWAP mode to silent the console? Something similar to logging console emergencies

> Nothing to disable that

3. When things go wrong and LWAP can't join the WLC, priming is there to help. I was using capwap ap controller ip address 10.10.111.10, but I know there is another command capwap ap primary-base "Cisco WLC" 10.10.111.10 Is there any difference between these two?

> Same thing, but this command is what's preferred when establishing a join capwap ap controller ip address 10.10.111.10

> DNS is available in the WLC after the AP has joined.

> Erase the NVRAM

debug lwapp console cli

debug capwap console cli

erase /all nvram

Example: Entered the username and password

debug capwap console cli

erase /all nvram:

[confirm]

undebug all reload

[confirm]

Hold reset for over 30 seconds to get to ROMMON

ap:delete flash:private-config

ap:delete flash:private-multiple-fs

ap:boot

Your AP will be factory default

-Scott

Thanks Scott! If possible can

Thanks Scott!

If possible can you please edit your answer and add some spaces/new lines so others can read it quickly.

Back to the questions:

1. I just had Autonomous AP, used on it the archive ... command, then did a reload. I checked the DHCP in the AP lan segment and identified the DNS servers. Then went to DNS and added an A record for the CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.my.domain.com. Then did a reload.

What happened was awful! The LWAP kept its previous Autonomous AP IP; even more it kept the previous domain sufix, so my A record was for nothing. And finally the console was flooded with error messages, just right to add some commands I was not that familiar. 

So are you 100% that conversion doesn't keep the setup: IP, name-servers, gateway, domain-sufix?

4. Is there a command to setup DNS Server and domain-sufix from AP's CLI (using console for example).

Many thanks!

If possible can you please

If possible can you please edit your answer and add some spaces/new lines so others can read it quickly.

> Just did:)

Back to the questions:

1. I just had Autonomous AP, used on it the archive ... command, then did a reload. I checked the DHCP in the AP lan segment and identified the DNS servers. Then went to DNS and added an A record for the CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.my.domain.com. Then did a reload.

What happened was awful! The LWAP kept its previous Autonomous AP IP; even more it kept the previous domain sufix, so my A record was for nothing. And finally the console was flooded with error messages, just right to add some commands I was not that familiar. 

So are you 100% that conversion doesn't keep the setup: IP, name-servers, gateway, domain-sufix?

> Well the best thing to do is a write erase then either reboot the AP and the dhcp should give the AP the same ip address (since the lease didn't expire), then do the archive command.  You can also delete the config file on the flash, but be careful what you delete.

4. Is there a command to setup DNS Server and domain-sufix from AP's CLI (using console for example).

> Npthing on the AP itself... any commands you issue besides teh capwap etc.... will not keep after a reload.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

What happened was awful! The

What happened was awful! The LWAP kept its previous Autonomous AP IP

I know the reason why.  After you've loaded the controller-based IOS, did you try to use the "write erase" command to delete the configuration?  If you did then THIS WON'T WORK.   This command will erase the configuration but the static IP address will remain.

The command to delete the configuration and the static IP address is "write default".  

To sum up last two answer, I

To sum up last two answer, I got two commands:

write erase (we all knew this from routers)

write default (I just found out it is Autonomous AP specific), and seems to be right command for converting Autonomous APs to LWAP.

About my existing LWAP (the recent converted Autonomous AP), I have two questions:

- does it know hold any old config right now?

- if I use Click all config except Static IP I know it will join the controller for a fact, but after rejoining the existing configuration (location, AP Group, FlexConnect AP Group) would be kept, or do I have to add him to the previous groups I mentioned?

Views
Helpful
Replies