Views
Helpful
Replies

The system has unsaved changes - WLC Startup-config

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

Hi guys,

Is there a command to see the startup-config?

Or a command to see "what exactly" am I going to save when receiving the below message:     

The system has unsaved changes.

Would you like to save them now? (y/N)

I tried show run-config vs uploaded configuration file, but the format is different so I cannot compare...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you are doing a change on WLC, then you have to take a backup of it prior to your configuration, that would be your startup config.

Then once you do the changes, take another backup & compare it with the previous one.

In that way you can find out what are the configuration lines added by your configuration.

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

You can take a backup of your WLC configuration as shown below once you do the config & then it can be compared with originally downloaded config to WLC.

(WLC1) >transfer upload mode tftp

(WLC1) >transfer upload datatype config

(WLC1) >transfer upload filename wlc-backup-2013-12-10

(WLC1) >transfer upload path .

(WLC1) >transfer upload serverip x.x.x.x

(WLC1) >transfer upload start

Also you can try "show run-config commands" output as well. It will give most of the config commands except some advanced configuration (which is shown in the backup config)

HTH

Rasika

***** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree... You would need to compare the configs to see what has changed.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So when I download the configuration using TFTP, what do I get: running-config or startup-config?

If you issue a show run-config ? you will see this:

commands       Display list of configured commands on WLC.

no-ap          Display running configuration of controller without AP configuration.

Display running configuration of controller.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

You would get running-config when you do the config backup using TFTP method.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thank you, I needed to clear this.

Now for solving this topic: how can I see the startup-config for the WLC?

If you are doing a change on WLC, then you have to take a backup of it prior to your configuration, that would be your startup config.

Then once you do the changes, take another backup & compare it with the previous one.

In that way you can find out what are the configuration lines added by your configuration.

HTH

Rasika

This could be a method, for sure.

Trouble is that I need at some moment to see what I am actually saving. It's possible another one made some changes and it's a matter of knowing in detail all that was configured.

I was hoping for some classic: show startup-config.

If it's not possible, everyone can stick to your previous method. At least solves half the scenarios.

Thanks for the support!

Hi

With Areonet OS (5508,2504,etc) you do not have this freedom

If it is IOS you can do this using a single command "show archive config differences nvram:startup-config system:running-config" So with 5760/3850 you can do this.

http://mrncciew.com/2012/11/08/show-archive-config-differences-is-your-friend/

With Areonet 5508,2504 if you need to know what commands your configuration will adds to your config, you can do some sort of workaround (though it is not clean,still you can see what lines adding to WLC config)

Do  "debug aaa tacacs enable" on your WLC CLI & then make a change using WLC GUI, you will see on your CLI what commands it will add to your config.

So you have to make your changes one by one to learn all the CLI config addition to your configuration.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card