Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Trouble with WLC 4400 to 5508 Migration

We recently received a 5508 WLC and are in the process of migrating AP's from a 4402. The ios versions on the 5508 is 7.6.100.0 and the 4402 is 7.0.240.0. On our new WLC the 5508 we decided that we wanted to create new SSIDs and new vlans for better management. Is there an easier way to migrate ap's from the 4402 to the 5508? When we move one at a time it's tedious and sometimes we run into certificate issues, I've been doing as much research as possible as I'm helping someone with this move but many findings come to placing the new 5508 in the same mobility group as the 4402 then  move the ap's from the 4402 to the new 5508. The new 5508 is in a mobility group of it's own separate from our 4402's. We have several but are only moving ap's from one 4402 at a time. Is this logical to place the 5508 in the same mobility group and move the ap's to it? If so how do I move the ap's from the 4402 to the 5508? Any suggestions, comments, help would be more then appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

The fastest way to move APs

The fastest way to move APs from one controller to another (without using WCS/NCS/PI) is via CLI.  

The command is very simple:  config ap primary-base [5508 name] [AP name] [5508 Management IP address]

All you need is to put this in a spreadsheet and concatenate the AP name and you're set.  Cut-and-paste to the 5508 and wait for the APs to start swinging across.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

The fastest way to move APs

The fastest way to move APs from one controller to another (without using WCS/NCS/PI) is via CLI.  

The command is very simple:  config ap primary-base [5508 name] [AP name] [5508 Management IP address]

All you need is to put this in a spreadsheet and concatenate the AP name and you're set.  Cut-and-paste to the 5508 and wait for the APs to start swinging across.

Community Member

Thanks Leo, this is exactly

Thanks Leo, this is exactly what I was looking for. Next I'll look into getting another 5508 and learning how to configure it for High Availability should our primary 5508 fails. Thanks again!

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Thanks for taking the time to

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content