Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

troubleshooting wireless issues 1100 series

one section of our warehouse is having some wireless issues.  wireless barcode scanners are locking up.  looking on the two APs in that area (both are 1100 series) I see some errors such as:

Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station  Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid

and

Packet to client  reached max retries, removing the client

I am trying to do some debuggin on the APs, but not seeing anything.

1. I signon to the APs with hyperterminal, using my username and password.  returns what appers to be the mac address followed by # sign
  2. I type in "enable", nothing happens
  3. I type in 3 debugs:
    1. debug radius authentication
    2. debug dot11 aaa authenticator process
    3. debug dot11 aaa authenticator state-machine

but I never see any messages after that.

here is what I see on the current AP:

001b2ac01820#enable

001b2ac01820#debug dot11 aaa authenticator process

process debugging is on

001b2ac01820#debug radius authentication

Radius protocol debugging is on

Radius protocol brief debugging is off

Radius protocol verbose debugging is off

Radius packet hex dump debugging is off

Radius packet protocol debugging is on

Radius elog debugging debugging is off

Radius packet retransmission debugging is off

Radius server fail-over debugging is off

Radius elog debugging debugging is off

001b2ac01820#debug dot11 aaa authenticator state-machine

state machine debugging is on

001b2ac01820#

what am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Channel 1 = 2412

Channel 6 = 2437

Channel 11 = 2462

From the carrier busy test, it looks like those channels are pretty busy in your area.  You might want to move the AP on channel 1 to 11.  6 is pretty busy as well, but it's better than 1.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
7 REPLIES

Take a look at the following link.  It goes over debugging on an IOS AP.

http://www.my80211.com/home/2011/12/15/basic-cisco-ap-debugging-autonomous-ios.html

But to speak to the errors you are seeing:

Packet to client  reached max retries, removing the client - the AP has sent a packet to the WLC 16 times, unless you have increased the max packet retries.  Once this happens, the AP assumes the client has moved away from it's service area and removes the client from the bridging table.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

got it.  thanks.

one more question, I got the carrier busy test to run via web browser, but have no idea how to read it.

the two access points in this area should be on channel 1 and then 6, so how doest that correlate to the frequency listed below?

Carrier                                  Busy Test Output
FrequencyCarrier Busy %

Channel 1 = 2412

Channel 6 = 2437

Channel 11 = 2462

From the carrier busy test, it looks like those channels are pretty busy in your area.  You might want to move the AP on channel 1 to 11.  6 is pretty busy as well, but it's better than 1.

HTH,

Steve

cool.

many thanks steve.

one more question and I will leave you alone

all of our access points are either on channel 1, 6, or 11.  so why do I see the other frequency\channels listed on the carrier busy?

other equipment like microwaves or handheld phones?  or just bleedover?

In the 2.4GHz there are 11 usable channels.  But each channel is around 5MHz apart.  Now, let's take channel 6, as a good example here.

Channel 6's center point is 2437, but the channel is 20MHz wide.  So it covers from 2427 - 2447.  Any device on channel 6 will cause some interferrence with channels 4,5,7 and 8.

So in the 2.4GHz we only use 1,6,11 as they are the only channels that do not overlap with each other, and don't interferre with each other.

HTH,

Steve

got it. thanks.

learned something today.  never a bad thing.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content