Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Two 1140 AP's - reached max retries, removing the client

Hello,

I recently upgraded my WLAN from the Cisco 1130 AP's and 802.11ABG client adapters to the 1140 AP's and Linksys/Cisco wmp600N client adapters.

I did an in place replacement, used the current cat5 cables, put the 1140's in the same physical location that the 1130's were in. I have six AP's on the second floor in my office.  All AP's are in a drop ceiling, AP's are an average of 50-60 feet away from each other to make sure clients throughout the office have connectivity, and in the event one AP fails, they can still connect to the next closest AP. I have all AP's using non-overlapping channels 1,6,11, each AP has it's own channel, none close to each other.

I have two 1140 AP's that do not keep clients connected, but they did when I had 1130's connected in the same physical location. Clients that are close to these two AP's will connect, a few hours later they will drop off and connect to the next closest AP, that would be about 50 feet away, they refuse to stay connected to the AP that is closest. I see the following messages on the two AP's event logs -------------

Packet to client ####.####.####.#### reached max retries,  removing the client

Can someone tell me why two AP's out of six refuse to keep clients connected, and I get the message above ? they choose to connect further away. Their signal strength is excellent and the speed is 130MB, even at the furthest AP. I even raised the client power on those two AP's, but clients refuse to stay to those two AP's.

Thanks,

Bob

10 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Two 1140 AP's - reached max retries, removing the client

Bob,

Did you test the new client adapters with the 1130 AP's or did you swap both at the same time? I would try I setup some client devices with the other adapter you were using with the 1130's to see if you still see the same behavior. This can determine if it's the wireless or adapter in a way. Most of the time it's due to the client, who is te decision maker on what ap it wants to join. If your environment is "Hot", and devices join an AP further away than the one right by the device, I wouldn't worry so much about it, but that's me. As long as you still have good performance and the users are happy then I wouldn't worry. Now I a user roams and sticks I an ap further away and has a low signal strength, then I would worry.

Some things you can try: adjust te clients roaming threshold on the adapter. Disable lower data rates (data rates below 11mbps) on the wlc radio interface. Don't increase the TX power higher than what the clients can do.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

It was a mix --- I upgraded a group of wireless cards from 802.11 ABG to N series wmp600N client adapters, then I upgraded a few 1140 AP's.

Yes clients that were using the 802.11 ABG wireless cards were able to connect to the 1130AG AP's, and older and new client adapters were connecting to the 1140 AP, no problem with clients reaching out to another AP further away. It's just once I installed these two 1140 AP's that clients would connect, then disconnect, and re-connect to another AP further away. I would say ----- if I pull the plug on the further AP's those clients would connect to the AP's that they do not want to connect to as the AP's do work, clients just refuse to stay connected all day wherer they did previously.

I did not see any settings to change on the client adapter as you mentioned below, the adapters are Cisco/Linksys wmp600n.

Thank you,

Bob

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Can someone tell me why two AP's out of six refuse to keep clients connected, and I get the message above ? they choose to connect further away. Their signal strength is excellent and the speed is 130MB, even at the furthest AP. I even raised the client power on those two AP's, but clients refuse to stay to those two AP's.

What is the exact models of the wireless NIC cards?  Have you upgraded the firmware of the cards from the manufacterer's website?

The wireless cards are Cisco/Linksys wmp600n. I did download and install the latest driver from the website which is version 1.4.3.0.

Thanks,

Bob

What is the topology?  Are these all autonomous AP's or is there a WLC in play?

Re,
Bob Bagheri

This is not a large scale deployment, we are talking about 50 clients total between two floors, the bulk of the users are on the second floor where I have 6 1140 AP's throughout that second floor. No site survey was done prior to the 1140 deployment, but was done on the last generation wireless.

The AP's are connected to cat5 which feeds to 1GB speed switch ports, the AP's get their power by Cisco Power Injectors, using static addresses, and static non-overlapping channels on the AP's.

Thanks,

Bob

Are the AP's autonomous or managed by a central controller?

If autonomous, could there be a configuration mismatch on the two that are acting up?

The errors you are seeing basically means the AP didn't hear anything from the client, so it gave up.  I am assuming this is b/c the client is happy connecting to the other AP, for whatever reason.

Re,
Bob

autonomous - I re-checked the configuration quite a few times and nothing sticks out of place. Could be that the clients are happy connecting to the other closest AP, which at this point ---- I may never know why, they do not suffer in loss of speed or signal strenght, so ---- I guess I will let it go.

Bob

Agreed 100%.

One more question I left out, then I'm all set ----

For data rates --- in network interfaces/radio 802.11 N/settings/data rates ---- I did set all AP's to "Best Range". Is that a best practice instead of "Best Throughput".

Bob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content