cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to attach AP’s to 5508 7.5.102.0 controller

Steve Wood
Level 1
Level 1

Initially the controller was running 7.0 with no issues. 1131 AP’s and 1200 series AP's. Additional 1602 AP’s installed and old 1200’s removed (unsupported beyond 7.0.x). Upgraded the controller to 7.5 and no AP’s can join the controller. The 1131’s appear to attach and reboot and stick in downloading mode but the 1602’s never appear to join. I can see DHCP addresses being picked up by AP’s from Monitor stats and CDP. Had to roll-back to 7.0 but had to disable interfaces on all the 1131's attached switchports before the controller would allow me to reboot as it kept stating a message along the lines "cannot complete as AP's are downloading".

Please find attached files. Hopefully trying again next week so any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Steve,

That gives an important bit of information.

In WLC 5508 management interface will act as ap-manager interface & therefore you do not want to have a seperate ap-manager interface.

So your DHCP option 43 to be send WLC mgt IP (10.7.10.205 ) as WLC for APs.

I would suggest you to configure your AP high availability section with 5508 sysname & the above IP (10.7.10.205) as primary controller. In this way AP is knows where to send the registration msg without depend on option 43 info.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses *****

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi Steve,

Did you upgrade FUS to 1.7.0.0 as well ? If not  this could be a potential reason why 1600 not registered to your wlc after upgrade. It is recomended to do this in WLC 7.4.x onwards. You can refer this document for the information.(Note that this process will take 30-40 min of downtime to your wireless, so please orgnaise enough downtime for your change)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_rn_1_7_0_0.html

Also read this release notes for 7.5.102.0 as it listed un-resolved bugs which you may need to consider.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn75.html

Is there specific reason why you want to go to 7.5.102.0 (latest) ? If no specific feature requirement 7.4.110.0 would be a good stable platform.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Rasika thanks for your response. the reason I installed 7.5 was that we have deployed it on new installs and not had issues. Unfortunately all installs involve 2602 AP's and I labbed it today again with 2602 AP's on a 2504 and it worked out of the box. I will peruse the links you have provided

I did not load the FUS as it appears to have already been installed

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 7.5.102.0

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.16

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.0.112.21

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.7, Env 1.8, USB console 2.2

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 7.5.102.0

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.16

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.0.112.21

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.7, Env 1.8, USB console 2.2

Is this the output of your 5508  in concern ? Can you post it as at now (you said you had to roll-back)

Rasika

Rasika

It is in the attachments "OS&AP types"

Ok, I got it..As per that your 5508 should have latest FUS. You are fine with that.

Next time get a test 1600 AP nearby & console onto it while it is trying to register for this 5508. Get that output to see why it cannot register. Also give enough time (5-10min) for APs to download new image once you upgraded the controller software.

HTH

Rasika

Yep aiming to get onsite one night next week. If not perhaps try and get a 1602 back to test against the 2504. Any specific debug commands I should ensure I run on the WLC when I roll forward. I also need to be able to see why the 1131's fail.

The upgrade was done at 1800 and I didnt roll back until 0200 so enough time for downloads. Hence I think the 1131's were reporting downloading and re-booting as I could see the Monitor screen reporting AP's joining and leaving.

The AP's get there option 43 from a Windows server I have since found out and the AP manager is in Vlan 100 with all APs attaching in Vlan 101. I know the option 43 must be correct but am confused by the CAPWAP debugs I posted

*spamApTask7: Dec 11 23:33:32.612: f8:72:ea:7c:96:b0 Received a Discovery Request from F8:72:EA:7C:96:B0 which is not destined to management interface (10.7.10.206)!. Dropping the packet.

Hi Steve,

That gives an important bit of information.

In WLC 5508 management interface will act as ap-manager interface & therefore you do not want to have a seperate ap-manager interface.

So your DHCP option 43 to be send WLC mgt IP (10.7.10.205 ) as WLC for APs.

I would suggest you to configure your AP high availability section with 5508 sysname & the above IP (10.7.10.205) as primary controller. In this way AP is knows where to send the registration msg without depend on option 43 info.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses *****

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card