Replies

Unable to change hostname

roycemathew
Level 1
Level 1

hi All,

I am unable to change hostname on WLC 5508 with 7.4.110 code

(Cisco Controller) >config sysname WLC

Warning! System name change disrupts the existing RF Grouping.

Why am i getting the above warning, i want the hostname changed to WLC instead of default Cisco Controller

GUI shows correct name

is that i am missing some concept or a common bug on the WLC code.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will warn you for that but go ahead and change it. Now if you want to change the prompt, you need to issue:

config prompt

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

You said "GUI shows correct name". If so, CLI also should show the correct sysname. You can verify it using "show sysinfo" command. GUI & CLI should show same sysname.

I think what you really need is change the prompt name instead of sysname. So as Scott said you can use "config prompt xxx" to change the prompt name. It does not need to be same as sysname.

here is one of my WLC where I have configured prompt as "BUN-L000-WC01" where as sysname is "BUN-L000-L1R0153R01-WC01". Sysname is the important for AP failover,RF grouping, etc. Promt will give you clear indication on to which controller you SSH to, nothing else.

(BUN-L000-WC01) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 7.4.111.5

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.16

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.0.112.21

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.7, Env 1.8, USB console 2.2

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... BUN-L000-L1R0153R01-WC01

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful resposnes ****

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will warn you for that but go ahead and change it. Now if you want to change the prompt, you need to issue:

config prompt

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

You said "GUI shows correct name". If so, CLI also should show the correct sysname. You can verify it using "show sysinfo" command. GUI & CLI should show same sysname.

I think what you really need is change the prompt name instead of sysname. So as Scott said you can use "config prompt xxx" to change the prompt name. It does not need to be same as sysname.

here is one of my WLC where I have configured prompt as "BUN-L000-WC01" where as sysname is "BUN-L000-L1R0153R01-WC01". Sysname is the important for AP failover,RF grouping, etc. Promt will give you clear indication on to which controller you SSH to, nothing else.

(BUN-L000-WC01) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 7.4.111.5

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.16

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.0.112.21

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.7, Env 1.8, USB console 2.2

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... BUN-L000-L1R0153R01-WC01

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful resposnes ****

Thanks that worked and it changed.

Now that leads to another doubt why cant we change the hostname of the system. Or is there a way to change it.

Hi Mathew,

When you type "config sysname xx" you got a normal warning message & if you hit enter, your WLC sysname should get changed.

Prior to change the sysname, check wether you have used it for cetrain things. Like AP high availability (if so you have update it in those AP).

Also suggest to give a name like WLC-1 instead of just WLC. So incase you get another WLC, you can name as WLC-2.

Also keep in mind, if your WLC sysname include a space, then you cannot configure it via CLI, but GUI should be fine.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you Scott and Rasika

gavincharters1
Level 1
Level 1

config>prompt "then add name of WLC"

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card