cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to get IP on one ssid of a two ssid autonomus 1141 AP

john.wright
Level 3
Level 3

We recently added a second ssid at a remote site AP but the clients cannot get an IP. They get associated to the AP but no IP.

The ssid we added is using the default vlan 1 which is where the dhcp server is located.

The other ssid vlan 101 is the visistor network and it gets an ip from the ASA. It works just fine.

The AP is connected to a 3560 swtich like so:

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/48

description link to WAP

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

load-interval 30

If we put a static reservation in the dhcp for the client mac address it works fine. But dynamic dhcp does not work.

Attached is the config of the AP.

Vlan 1 is the ssid that does not get a dynamic IP.

11 Replies 11

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I dont see that you have configured the below command on your switch:-

switchport trunk allowed vlan all

Switchport will trunk all vlans by default  & above config line is not required.

What is the purpose of configure "infrastructure-ssid optional" on that SSID ? I would try remove this line if it is not for particluar reason.

Also did you try with different clients ?

Your switcport configuration is fine.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Rasika

I know the infrastructure-ssid optional is not necessay for my purposes and it has not effect on the ability or inablility to secure an IP addr. I am just trying to rule out anything AP related that is preventing clients from getting an IP address.

Thansk for you response.

Your config looks good, but like Rasika mentioned, I would remove infrastructure-ssid optional just to see if it works... now I would also configure a port on the same switch as the ap is connected to and set that to vlan 1 and make sure that laptop gets an ip address.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott

Thanks for the response.

I did ask the local support to do what you suggested last Friday and they confirmed today that dhcp is handing out IP's; just not to wireless clients.

For testing can you define the DHCP pool on AP itself & check ?

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

please check if the default VLAN is still set to 1 or not.. It must be an issue of VLAN and some VLAN are no allowed due to filtering. We must have all VLAN allowed to get IP from secondary SSID.

Thanks for the response.

Here is what I see

Name: Gi0/48

Switchport: Enabled

Administrative Mode: trunk

Operational Mode: trunk

Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q

Negotiation of Trunking: On

Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)

Administrative Native VLAN tagging: enabled

The dhcp provided service now works. We are not sure why but we did do two things with the dhcp server:

1. we excluded the IP of the AP from dynamic

2. We reset the dhcp server

blenka
Level 3
Level 3

I hope you have to check for the IP address & the Vlan ID you had feed into the AP  + if, DHCP relay or helper command is entered or not.

I hope there is some issue from the back end of the AP.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card