Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unable To Migrate AP's From One WLC To Another?

I have a 5508 at a remote site and a 5508 at my main campus.  I was doing some work on the remote site's controller, so I changed option 43 on our DNS/DHCP system, then applied an LWAPP template from NCS to the AP's to migrate them to the controller at my main campus (so users could still utilize the wireless at the remote site).  They all moved over to the temporary (main campus) controller without an issue.

When I was ready to migrate the AP's back to their local (remote site) controller - I changed option 43 for each subnet that contained AP's @ the remote site to point back to their local controller's management IP address, pushed an LWAPP template again (pointing it to the local controller obviously) and apply template/reboot AP.

The AP reboots, disassociates from the main campus (temporary) controller, but when it comes back up a few minutes later - it associates BACK to the main campus controller it was on instead of to the remote site/local controller like option 43, the LWAAP template (and my frustrated screams) are now telling it to.

I'm certain I'm just missing something.  Any helpful insight on what I can check?

• Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (2)
13 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Unable To Migrate AP's From One WLC To Another?

Make sure the WLC's are on the same mobility group and the mobility group is up. Also make sure ap fallback is enabled. Make sure you set the primary and backup wlc on the ap. the name is case sensitive.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Here is a link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk721/technologies_tech_note09186a00807a85b8.shtml#ap-fall

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Wow that was a fast response Scott!

I didn't notice when I decided to migrate the AP's to our main campus controller that it was in fact in a different mobility group than the remote-site/local controller.  This is by design (we want these sites in different mobility groups) - so are you saying I won't be able to migrate these AP's back to their local controller until I put that controller in the same mobility group as the temporary controller they are on now?

In the LWAPP template, selecting the Primary controller is not a free text field (it is a drop-down menu) so I select the controller DNS name I want them to migrate to from the list so it can't be case sensitivity.

Also - if I understand you correctly I *must* set a backup/secondary WLC in the LWAPP template before these AP's will move?  Why was I able to move them the first time (to this temporary controller) without such information?

Just trying to get all this to sink in!  Thanks for all the help.

I believe the reason your aps moved to the main campus wlc is because you had dhcp option 43/dns pointing to that wlc.  So when the ap's lost connectivity to the remote WLC, it went the the discovery process and was able to join the other wlc.  So in order to get the aps back to the other wlc, you need to change the mobility group to be the same.  Even though the sites have no mobility, you can still have wlc in the same mobility group.  This is unless you reach the max number of wlc per mobility group which is 25.  So temporarily put the two wlc on the same mobility groups... I would change the remote for now.  Then when all the aps join back, you can change the mobility group back.  Just make sure you don't use DNS and only option 43 if your staging aps.  There is no reason to leave these on since once the ap's join, it will know of all the wlcs in the mobility group.

I changed the remote/local controller to the same mobility group name as the temporary controller that the AP's are currently on, pushed the template again, the AP rebooted, and joined back to the temporary controller again unfortunately.

Would it help diagnose things if I try changing my option 43 to a completely different controller - and see if I'm able to move an AP to that one?

So this is what I would check. make sure the mobility group and the VIP are the same. Make sure on the AP that the primary and secondary wlc and ip address are set correctly.... WCS might not push out the templates right. Make sure master controller mode is disabled and AP Fallback is enabled. This should work.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Make sure the mobility group is up also. Do you see errors on the other wlc? Make sure you don't have any ap policies that might be preventing the aps from joining;

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for the on-going insight Scott I really appreciate it.

Mobility group and the Virtual IP are the same on both controllers.

I've added the remote site controller to the same mobility group the temporary controller was already in, and that mobility group is showing as "up" in the mobility management screen.  I don't have a lot of experience with mobility groups but I believe I'm doing it correctly... If I go to each controller I can see the MAC and IP of the other in Mobility Management with a status of "up"...

I wasn't setting a secondary WLC or IP in the template but I went ahead and chose the temporary controller as the backup WLC?

Neither controller is in master mode.

AP Fallback is enabled on both controllers.

Pushed the template, the AP reboots, and then associates to the same (temporary) controller.  So frustrating because I know it's something small I'm missing...

Did you also change the mobility group name in the mobility group where you enter the Mac address, ip address and mobility group name?

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.