Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to reach WISM2 management interface

codflanglers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've just reset our WISM2 in the test lab back to factory default as I needed to reconfigure the 6500 and the WISM2 itself. Bearing in mind I had it working before.

I've just renamed and re-addressed some of the vlans so things flow better and make it easier to add more WISM2s in the future.

Now I've run through the initial configuration and it's rebooted ok and show WISM status is showing Oper-Up and there's a port channel 407 been created as I would expect. However, I am unable to get to the management interface via GUI or SSH. In fact from the 6500 I can't even ping the management interface (but I can the service port).

The Vlans have been changed in the 6500 config so it knows the native-vlan and service vlan etc and all the vlans are up/up.

Any ideas? I've re-addressed the virtual interface in case it was that. I know it worked before, it's only after the vlan changes that I've had this. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ok, the reason you can't reach the WiSM is you are tagging on the WLC and the switch side.  With a dot1q trunk, if it sees it's own tag it will drop the traffic.  So there are two thins you can do:

1.) Set the management on the WLC to be VLAN 0 (untagged)

2.) Change the native vlan on the switch to an unused VLAN. <--preferred method.

What option 2 gives you, is any traffic that happens to get untagged will go no where.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

nikhilcherian
Level 5
Level 5

I faced this issue yesterday after I rebooted WiSM, I could fine the port channel associated with the WiSM was in susupended state. I cleared the configurations for the WiSM port-channel, did the reboot of the WiSM using the hw-module reset command, when the WiSM came back up, i configured the port-channel and then rebooted the WiSM again. I could ping my WiSM after this

I'll go down and check in a few minutes but I thought the port-channel was automatically created by the 6500 detecting the module. I didn't think you could alter it in any way.

As I suspected I am unable to alter the configuration of the port channel in any way (as it's above 256). I can see that it doesn't have any configuration on it though. I have tried a hard reset of the WiSM2 (reseated the module) and it is still the same.

Wism module

Do you have these commands configured?

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

currently this is what I have for these commands, which worked before. The only difference is the vlan numbering. This is a WISM2 so only the single controller.

wism service-vlan 1504

wism module 4 controller 1 allowed-vlan 1006-4094

wism module 4 controller 1 native-vlan 1501

wism module 4 controller 1 qos trust dscp

What i did was this for my issue

I removed this configuration, reseted the wism using the "hw-module reset" command then configured the commands

wism service-vlan 1504

wism module 4 controller 1 allowed-vlan 1006-4094

wism module 4 controller 1 native-vlan 1501

wism module 4 controller 1 qos trust dscp

and then resetted the wism again

I have just performed this function and unfortunately I am still unable to access the management interface. I know it's going to be something simple.

I agree it is not gonna be simple,

I tried more than an hour, with various combinations of the step I mentioned to get it working

Just a stupid question over here, Hope no one would have changed the gateway IP and vlan

It's just me working in the lab, so I doubt it. Like I said, I have just changed all the vlans and that's seems to have upset it somewhat. I'll keep trying, but it's frustrating when everything on the controller and the 6500 seem to indicate everything is fine.

Can you session in and post the output from show interface summary ?

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

Here you go

(WiSM-slot4-1) >show interface summary

Interface Name                   Port Vlan Id  IP Address      Type    Ap Mgr Guest
-------------------------------- ---- -------- --------------- ------- ------ -----
management                       LAG  1501      10.15.101.1     Static  Yes    No
service-port                         N/A    N/A       10.15.104.1     Static  No     No
virtual                                 N/A    N/A        1.1.1.1           Static  No     No

ok, the reason you can't reach the WiSM is you are tagging on the WLC and the switch side.  With a dot1q trunk, if it sees it's own tag it will drop the traffic.  So there are two thins you can do:

1.) Set the management on the WLC to be VLAN 0 (untagged)

2.) Change the native vlan on the switch to an unused VLAN. <--preferred method.

What option 2 gives you, is any traffic that happens to get untagged will go no where.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

DOH! That was it. I've been doing this from memory and I guess I forgot the basics. It's reachable now. Thanks a lot people.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card