Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Unequal load ditribution accross LWAPs

Hi,

I am very new to Cisco wireless solutions and there is an existing setup I took over at my new place and tring to get my head around how things working. It consists of WS-C3750G-24WS-S25 switch with integrated wireless controller and a number of AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9 and AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 accross the building, location aplience, wcs server etc.

The issue is that somehow clients are not distrubuted equally accross access points. For example, I have two access points (different models, if it makes any difference) which are couple feet apart from each other. During the day, one of the LWAP (AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9) takes vast majority of wireless clients in the area (if not all), at the same time the next one (AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9) which is 10 feet (clear sight) away from the first "leader" have only few (or close to zero) clients. I checked with WCS system, APs are working on different channels (1 and 6). The result is that the AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9 get congested with number of clients and traffic load affecting user wireless experience. All LWAP are mounted as "table top" if it makes any difference. The map is pretty accurate and AP are placed on the map at right spots. I am not sure if all walls etc. present on the map as I don't know was there any wireless spectrum planning done prior deploying the system.

I would really want to have a clue why the clients are not distributed equally, it happens across the building, with all access points to some extend. Is there is something that needs to be "tweaked" on the end-users' wireless laptops or inside WCS system itself. I would appreciate any tips and suggestions which could help me to identify direction where I would be able to find answers and solutions to my issue.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES

Re: Unequal load ditribution accross LWAPs

Sergey,

The client chooses what AP it will join. There is a feature called aggressive load balancing that will tell the client that the AP is busy and to try to join a different AP. however this can cause more issues than it resolves.

If you have access you could check Theron

Inc aggressiveness of the client adapter and see if that can be changed.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Unequal load ditribution accross LWAPs

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. Well, the thing is if it makes more harm than good, I would opt out on this approach. Especially, if it needs clients to be adjusted. I had thought that WCS (being wireless control system) should handle this logic somehow, I guess I was wrong.

I just can't understand why all cleints prefer to connect to the AP which is farther away from the one (with no load) which is right across the hallway. Is there any relation to AP MAC address clients may to take into consideration while making connection decisions? Will introducing more AP per area might resolve the issue? I have a serious doubts about last one, as the area have 3 AP (working on 1,6,11 channels, clear sight reachable) but somehow all clients are connecting to the same AP... all the time.

It's about how the client hears the AP. just because an AP is closer doesn't necessarily mean the client will join that AP. if it has a food RSSI/SNR it might stay with the AP that is farther away.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Purple

There should not be 2 LAP's that are only a couple of feet apart and not sure why someone would do that if they were installed with a good site survey .   You would probably be better off either removing one or moving one to an area that has weaker signals. If  3750 wlc is using RRM then the wlc is going to automatically probably turn down the power on  one of the ap's if they are  only 10 feet apart and possibly switch channels making one stronger than the other .

Ok, here are some updates.

I've tried to reconfigure the controller from scratch and got some positive results. I have an area which is currently served with a number of AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 access points, table-top mounted about 10-15 feet from each other, channes are 1,6,11 dynamically distributed. The thing is that once I replace any of this APs with AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9 model it starts "attracting" many clients, resulting the same issue as before. For example, a client within 5 feet clear sight from AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 somehow prefers AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9 which is 20 feet away, all the way accross the area, behind the drywall, cubicles etc. I simply don't get it, does the AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9 have a stronger signal or smth which results vast majority of clients choose it despite the distance? Does it mean that a wireless setup preferrably should have identical AP accross the served area to avoid observed unequal load distribution? Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content