cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Update/upgrade WLC Software Patch

dot1x
Level 3
Level 3

1. Could someone please assist what's the best practice to update the software version / patch on WLC?

Currently I'm running 8.3.102.0 and would like to update patch 8.3.130.0

2. Would APs restart once the WLC is updated? The APs are in FlexConnect Mode.

3. What's the best practice for standalone WLC?

4. What if we have WLCs in standby mode?

Any suggestions/recommendations please?

33 Replies 33

KRACK fix software is now available for download. They are 8.0.152.0, 8.2.164.0, 8.3.132.0 and 8.5.105.0.

For installing installing new base code and also installing the supplementary AP bundle, are two WLC restarts required, or can the base image be installed + the sup bundle then restart? 

No, after you upload the firmware of the controller, DO NOT REBOOT, but upload the supplementary AP bundle and do a reboot after that.

Before updating the software, what needs to be backed up?
Is it only the running config which needs to be backed up, should something goes wrong?

Correct.  Take a backup of the config.

Thanks Leo.

We are planning to implement this change in a week or so.

I'll share details, how it goes.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
KRACK fix software is now available for download. They are 8.0.152.0, 8.2.164.0, 8.3.132.0 and 8.5.105.0.

We are currently on 8.3, is there any stable updated software patch in 8.4.x or 8.5.x we could upgrade to?

Stay with 8.3 and avoid 8.4 and 8.5 (until further notice).

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

Stay with 8.3 and avoid 8.4 and 8.5 (until further notice).

Thanks Leo.

Until Further notice from Cisco? Are there any known issues?

Also, for 8.3, I found following:

The releases 8.3.130.0 (deferred release) and 8.3.132.0 are affected by the caveat: CSCvf87731. This could cause the Cisco WLC to unexpectedly reload, triggered by a timing issue during the processing of multiple join requests from the same AP. This issue could be more prevalent in scenarios of networks with packet drops or reordering.

Therefore, we recommend that you do not upgrade to Release 8.3.132.0, but instead upgrade to a newer release to be made available by October 30, 2017.

Should I go ahead with 8.3.133.0 which would include update for WPA KRACK as well?

dot1x wrote:

Until Further notice from Cisco? Are there any known issues? 

Errrr ... Please "read between the lines" when I say:  Stay with 8.3.X.X.  

Hi Leo,

I'm sorry, but when you say read between lines, were you referring to:

KRACK fix software is now available for download. They are 8.0.152.0, 8.2.164.0, 8.3.132.0 and 8.5.105.0?

You asked the question "Are there any known issue".
My answer is "stick with 8.3.X.X" and this is what I mean with "read between the lines" (of my answer).

rgnelson
Level 1
Level 1

Our experience with the patches went like this: We had recently upgraded from 8.0.x to 8.3.130 on our two sets of WLC/Guest Access pairs. This update went only ok, there were changed config items and on initial boot our two secure WLANs were disabled. The WLC GUI helped us through it, we were going again in short order. If anyone is coming from significantly earlier release, plan extra down time for the upgrade. 

8.3.130 to 8.3.132 was seemless. Uploaded the main image, then the supplementary bundle (thanks to the guidance here), did a predownload and then reset the controllers.  No issues at all. 

That's great.
May I contact you for assistance when I'm about to upgrade?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card