Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade advice for existing wireless network

huwyhuwy123
Level 1
Level 1

hi there,

I've been asked to look at doubling the number of wireless access points we need in our office.

At present we have:-

• an AIR-CT5508-K9 wireless controller - the sysinfo of the controller is attached.
  • 25 WAPs that are a mixture of AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9 and AIR-LAP1252AG-E-K9. I can see both of these are now end of life

I was looking to get

• An upgrade license for the WLC to take it up to 50 licenses
  • 15x AIR-LAP1262N-E-K9.
  • 10 external WAPs (not sure on the part number for this).

As this is a lot of money I want to make sure we are ordering the right equipment! I was wondering:-

• Will the new WAPs be compatible with the WLC?
  • Can someone recommend what external WAP I should get

I appreciate any advise on the above.

Cheers,

Alg

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
15x AIR-LAP1262N-E-K9

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Aironet 1260 Series

If you have a WLC, then go for either a 2600 or a 3600 and enjoy the benefits of CleanAir.

External Antennas for the 2602E/3602E can be found here in page 4.

Don't even bother with the 1600.

Thanks for replying.

I'll use AIR-CAP2602I-E-K9 for the internal access points. From what I can see they have an internal antenna so I won't need to buy external antenna.

What would you recommend for outdoor use? The access points are to be mounted on outside walls but shielded from rain by an overhanging roof

Cheers again,

Alg

What would you recommend for outdoor use? The access points are to be mounted on outside walls but shielded from rain by an overhanging roof

2602E or 3602E.  You can get a Terrawave outdoor enclosure.

If the coverage area is not that challenging then you maybe be able to get away with 2602I or 3602I.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... If your going to use an indoor AP outdoor, then make sure you look at the environmental specifications as far as temperature. The thing you have to look at is if it gets too cold and humidity especially in the enclosures. You can always mount the ap indoor and core a hole so you can mount the antennas outside in a wall mount.

Omni
AIR-ANT2544V4M-R=

Patch
AIR-ANT2524V4C-R=

Outdoor wall mount
http://www.gnswireless.com/GNS1433.htm

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card