Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Upgrade from 7.5.102 to 7.6.100

Hi –

We recently moved our wireless environment from local office 4400/5508's to a pair of AIR-CT7510-K9 FlexControllers in HA in our data center (current version 7.5.102)

Have a deployment mix of AP versions 1142, 3500, and 3600 access points

Since the migration we have been experiencing issues with random 1142's, which basically stop responding to clients. Only fix is to bounce the AP -

After a couple days of troubleshooting with Cisco TAC there thought is we are hitting this bug CSCui66891

The question / or advice – move to 7.6.100 are drop back to 7.4.121 ?

I do like some of the enhancements offered in 7.6 but I just know I need to get away from 7.5

Appreciate the time -

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Upgrade from 7.5.102 to 7.6.100

The goto image is v7.4 not v7.6 unless you need features. If you really need stability, then you should stick with v7.4.121.0. I recently had to upgrade an 1142/2602 environment from v7.4.110.0 to v7.4.121.0. Things are working fine on that code. v7.5 is deferred and you do need to move off if that:).

There are issues with v7.6 with Loosing layer 2 and you would need TAC to give you their release. No do you want to be in a special release for production, I wouldn't. So this is another reason to go with v7.4.121.0.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
24 REPLIES

The goto image is v7.4 not v7.6 unless you need features. If you really need stability, then you should stick with v7.4.121.0. I recently had to upgrade an 1142/2602 environment from v7.4.110.0 to v7.4.121.0. Things are working fine on that code. v7.5 is deferred and you do need to move off if that:).

There are issues with v7.6 with Loosing layer 2 and you would need TAC to give you their release. No do you want to be in a special release for production, I wouldn't. So this is another reason to go with v7.4.121.0.

-Scott
VIP Purple

I agree with Scott, Go back to 7.4.121.0 until 8.x code released some time this year.

Rasika

Was so on the fence on this - Appreciate the input and that's what I will do. Move to 7.4.121

No problem and good luck!

-Scott

I don't mean to cause trouble, but I'm having difficulty with reconciling:

- Cisco has 7.6.100 on the top of the download page

- There are no cautionary statements on the download page about 7.6.100

- 7.6.100 is needed for 3700 APs

- All obvious customer-facing signals from Cisco are that 7.6.100 is "Okay"

Yet... two VIPs are telling customers to avoid 7.6.100. Would the BU agree with this, and if so, why isn't a similiar message somewhere on the downloads page for 7.6.100?

Again, really just trying to understand, as so many public-facing Customer web site things are at odds with what is recommended in the support community. It's really an odd paradigm in that support contracts *should* lead you to best support, but the real story behind Cisco wireless seems to be here, and not on the official Cisco pages.

-Lee Badman

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Yet... two VIPs are telling customers to avoid 7.6.100. Would the BU agree with this, and if so, why isn't a similiar message somewhere on the downloads page for 7.6.100?

The VIPs do NOT work for Cisco.

You should see some of my posts in LAN/WAN in regards to IOS versions then. 

Lee,

There are issues with code that affect some and not others. There are issues that we might not know until it might be disclosed to use by someone from Cisco. Many times it might be brought up to partners only and that is how it is with other vendors. You will never see any notice and the only notice you will see is either in the release notes of in the bug tool.

-Scott

Re:Upgrade from 7.5.102 to 7.6.100

Thanks, Scott. With 4000 APs to worry about and standing on the edge of 11ac, it is unnerving to see a somewhat contextless mention of L2 problems on 7.6.100 and two VIPs seemingly speaking for Cisco by warding people away from it. Can you see what I'm saying?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

VIP Purple

Hi Lee,

I provide responses here based on my experience. We went ahead with 7.4 release in very early stage & had to go through many upgrades within 4-6 months to bring some stability with that code (untill it got 7.4MR1).

Even with 7.6.x I have done EFT & got some experience how it behaves. Currently I have one controller upgraded to 7.6 to manage 3700 deployment in controlled manner as I am not willing to go through the same pain as 7.4 journey. (here it is for your reference Day 0 with WLC 7.4 code ) by upgrading all controllers to this latest code.

With any software code there are bugs, specially if it is a new release. So it is upto individual customer to determine when they want to go for these code upgrades by assessing the  risk vs benefits. My general advise is to wait for a maitenance release if possible. In certain cases Cisco release software code just to bring a product into  market & no plan to keep that software code running long (so may not end up with any maintenance releases like 7.5.x.x & hope it is the case with 7.6.x as well). WLC code 7.0.x , 7.4.x & hopefully 8.0.x will be codes running long.

In case like yours where you already have 3700AP, then there is no choice other than go for 7.6.100.0. Then work with TAC if any bugs/issues arises.

HTH

Rasika

Thanks, Rasika and Scott.

Lee,

Roll the dice man .. DO IT!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Thank you, Mr. Helper:)

I've never heard of another product set, especially one at this price point, where the culture is simply to live with and accept every new code version being a work in progress that customers are supposed to willingly debug at their clients' expense. Its a great arrangement for Cisco- charge customers to be part of a debug army.

I don't buy the "read the release notes and test for yourself" line, when you can't possibly to test to production scale. If the failures happen in limited lab testing, what does that say about the basic pre-release QA process? This is just a systematic, deeply ingrained culture of accepted mediocrity. Really weird.

Lee,

Its a fair statement. Its been a bumpy road. I was on a call with TAC today and the SE shared the challenge of keeping up with the trains. You may not have noticed 7.0 MR5 is being tested, as well. There is a lot of code out there! It would be nice to see Cisco pull back on the code releases and focus.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-39432

I do like the idea that Cisco is prereleasing code like this.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

How do you explain this to senior management- to go forward is to expect catastrophe and not be able to use latest APs, to go backward is to shop for the least shitty code from a confusing array of choices?

Insanity prevails.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Lee,

I've been on the 7.6 since 02 January 2014 and I have not yet seen some of the bugs that Scott and Reza has pointed out.

Someone needs to make the judgement call.

If you NEED TO run 7.6 then run it.  If you run into trouble, contact TAC and they could, potentially, knock up an engineering fix for you.

Thanks, Leo. FWIW, today I was told the WBU stands behind 7.6.100, and that the VIP opinions on the topic aren't exactly appreciated as presented here. I've also been on 7.6.1 since Jan, with no known issues noted at 20K client counts- but we're just getting into our 3700s and hence looking for the last-minute sanity check.

-Lee

VIP Purple

Hi Lee,

Here are the some critical bugs you should aware of. For the first bug if you disable WMM, you won't get any 802.11n data rates. All of these fixed on special engineering releases of 7.6.x. If you are not hitting those as of today then you are lucky. But best advise would be run an engineering release of 7.6.x if you are already hitting those.

CSCum49200

7.6: Broadcom client connectivity problems if WMM enabled w/ ap3600

Symptom:

Wireless clients utilizing Broadcom chipsets may have  trouble associating or may experience traffic hangs when associating to  a Cisco Aironet 3600 Series AP running the 7.6.100.0 release.

Conditions:

This bug will only occur with the Cisco Aironet 3600 Series APs on Wireless LAN Controllers with 7.6.100.0 Software

and WMM Enabled

Workaround:

Disable WMM

Known Affected Releases:(2)

7.6(100.0)

7.6(1.13

Known Fixed Releases:(2)

7.6(100.7)

7.6(101.7)

CSCuj17283

ap3700 uses 8 replay counters w/ clients that support only 1 (ARP fails)

Symptom:

Macbook Air, Macbook with 802.11ac chipset see  dropped packets and odd ARP behaviors when associated to the 5.0GHz  radio of a Cisco 3700 Series access point with WPA2 security.

Conditions:

To reproduce, all of the following conditions must be met:

- Software:  WLC code 7.6.100.0

- AP/Radio: Cisco 3700 Series AP only on 5.0GHz radio

- Clients:  Macbook Air w/ 802.11ac, Macbook Pro w/ 802.11ac, and Intel 6300 v15.9.2.1

- Switches:  Only reproducible with certain switches, such as Catalyst 6500 and Catalyst 3560-CG

Workaround:

Upgrade  or downgrade the client driver software to a version that supports  reception with multiple replay counters (which is standard).

Further Problem Description:

Virtually  all WMM-capable 802.11 clients support receiving transmissions from the  AP across 8 separate replay counters (where a separate replay counter  is maintained for each QoS priority value).  In an apparent recent  change to the implementation for certain Macbook Air and Macbook Pro  clients, the client now advertises receive support for only a single  replay counter.

This is probably a client bug, since, even if  the AP follows the client's request, it will cause packets to be dropped  due to out-of-order sequence numbers anytime that EDCA priorities on an  802.11 chipset transmitter change the ordering of downstream packets.   But, the effect is particularly severe due to a software bug affecting  the 5.0GHz radio of the Cisco Aironet 3700 Series AP that causes it to  ignore the clients request and still use a separate replay counter for  each QoS priority -- resulting in severe packet drops and data stalls.

Known Affected Releases:(3)

15.2(4)JA

7.6(100.0)

7.6(100.3)

Known Fixed Releases:(5)

7.6(100.4)

7.6(101.6)

10.1(112.2)

10.1(102.205)

8.0(72.123)

HTH

Rasika

** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Lee,

Adding one more with s/w version 7.6  and AP 3700

CSCum71199 - ap3700 SC3 + Intel 6300 v15.9.2.1 traffic hangs with 802.1x/wpa2

Symptom:

An Intel 6300 AGN wireless client associated to a 3700 ap may periodically fail to pass traffic, while remaining in the WLC Run state, and appearing connected from the client perspective.

Conditions:

WLC 7.6.100.0

wlan 802.1x wpa2/aes

Intel AGN 6300, latest driver. 15.9.2.1, 11/24/2013

Workaround

configure authentication and encryption type other than 802.1x wpa2/aes

Affected Version : 007.006(100.003)  and 007.006(100.000) 

Fix : Work in progress

Regards
Victor V

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as *****Answered"*****

Regards Victor V *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as *****Answered"*****
VIP Purple

7.6MR1 pre-release available now. See the below if you require it

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-40402

HTH

Rasika

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thanks for the update, Rasika.

Will grab this on Monday.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Image types

AS_5500* can be used for Wism2/2500/5500 controller types

AS_7500* can be used for 7500/8500

AS_4200* can be used for 4400/wism1

ROFL!

Lee,

You can listen to whomever you want to. Cisco has to be behind whatever they put out. Why all of a sudden v7.3 and v7.5 got deferred. At that time they were behind it. What we suggest, is from our experience and what we see from others out here on the forum. Let us know if you run into issues with the 3700's especially with Apple devices and hopefully you don't have 792x phones using cckm. If you do run into any issue, let us know.

Oh.... Just to throw paper in the fire....

Look at AP SSO on v7.3 and why is PI 1.2 the worse PI code. I don't deploy stuff that's not sable and if the customer wants 3700's for example, I set the expectation to what doesn't work. Still have issues with 3600's on v7.6 that I'm working with the BU on:)

-Scott

Again, thanks everyone. Great info.

-Lee

VIP Purple

Another important update is ALL software releases other than 7.0MR5, 7.4MR2 & 7.6MR1 going to deffer very soon. Refer below for more details

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-40178

HTH

Rasika

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content