cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade my 4400 to latest version?

gary.hostetler
Level 1
Level 1

I'm on version 4.0.219. It is working well but there is feature or 2 in 5.1 that I wan to implement but I remember when I upgraded to this version it was difficult the first time and it has been over a year.

Should I wait until a slack time and do I have to do incremental upgrades to get to 5.1 first?

I'm hoping someone will tell me to just jump right in.

thanks

Gary

7 Replies 7

bbxie
Level 3
Level 3

for upgrade of 4.0.219 to 5.1, you have to upgrade to a 4.2 release firstly, for example you can upgrade it to 4.2.112, then upgrade to 5.1.151

Bo is right.... before you upgrade, you should really look at how you will proceed. Hopefully you can move all your ap's to one controller and then upgrade the other. This way you can make sure the ap's will upgrade correctly. I have seen issues during an upgrade where you still have ap's associated to the controller during the process. Depending on how many a['s, you can sort of estimate the length of time it will take you to upgrade all your ap's.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have 2 controllers in 2 buildings, actually they are 20 miles apart and a 2 subnets but all part of the same Active Directory, but I have the dangest time keeping a couple of AP's from crossing over. I saw the response to my question on this except it needs version 5.1 to make it happen.

thanks

Gary

Well, since you have 2 WLC at each site, they should be on different mobility groups. Also, building 1 should only contain the info for the 2 wlc's at that site as with building 2.

What features in 5.1 is making you upgrade to that version.

-Scott

Another point... maybe upgrade one of your sites first and see if you have any issues with the 5.1 before deploying the code to the other site.

-Scott

ole
Level 1
Level 1

Please note that 5.x software does not support 10x0 APs. If you have such APs installed all you can go is 4.2.X.

Thanks for this info. I do have some 1010's. This info probably saved me hours of trying to track something down. I'm on 4.0 and we don't do phones or anything like that on the wireless. We don't even do authentication as the signal stays pretty much just inside the building.

thanks again

Gary

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: