Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrade to Prime 2.0

Hi@all,

we use here at the moment WCS 7.0.240 with three 4404 controllers and round about 250 APs.

We plan to upgrade to Prime 2.0.

We know the 4404 are EOL so we would buy new 5760 controllers.

My problem is, whats the path for upgrade the WCS.

I know there is a upgrade-package from WCS to Prime 1.3 that we must buy, but then? Do we need only make a software upgrade or do we need to pay for an additional upgrade package?

Is the NCS part of Prime 2.0?

kind regards

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Upgrade to Prime 2.0

You just need to get the WCS to Prime migration. When you migrate your data to PI, then any upgrade from there is free, the only thing that changes is licensing. What I would do is just purchase the PI 2.0 and then export the maps from WCS and import that into PI 2.0. I haven't had good experience upgrading from one version to another without having some sort of issue. Now, I'm not saying that you can't... if you want to migrate WCS to PI 1.3, you can then upgrade to PI 2.0. The process of upgrading is in the release notes for the version you want to upgrade to, so in your case it would be PI 2.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12239/prod_installation_guides_list.htmlhttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12239/prod_installation_guides_list.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes you will be able to. Any NCS 1.0, 1.1 and PI 1.3 or newer can be register since these license are tied to the vUDI of the VM.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
5 REPLIES

You just need to get the WCS to Prime migration. When you migrate your data to PI, then any upgrade from there is free, the only thing that changes is licensing. What I would do is just purchase the PI 2.0 and then export the maps from WCS and import that into PI 2.0. I haven't had good experience upgrading from one version to another without having some sort of issue. Now, I'm not saying that you can't... if you want to migrate WCS to PI 1.3, you can then upgrade to PI 2.0. The process of upgrading is in the release notes for the version you want to upgrade to, so in your case it would be PI 2.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12239/prod_installation_guides_list.htmlhttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12239/prod_installation_guides_list.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

Thx for the adivse.

Now i have seen in the Configuration Set there is a direct upgrade from WCS to Prime 2.0.

But two questions I have additionaly:

1. When the UCSS SOFTWARE UPGRADE SUBSCRIPTION ends. Minor upgrade, for eample from 2.0 to 2.1 will be included. Only Major upgrades like from 2.0 to 3.0 must be paid, correct?

2.If we have problems with Prime 2.0, it is possible to downgrade to 1.4, or is ths with the 2.0 license not possible?

kind regards

Upgrade to Prime 2.0

There isn't a direct upgrade from WCS to PI 2.0.  You will need to upgrade WCS to NCS 1.x and then to PI 2.0.

1. When the UCSS SOFTWARE UPGRADE SUBSCRIPTION ends. Minor upgrade, for example from 2.0 to 2.1 will be included. Only Major upgrades like from 2.0 to 3.0 must be paid, correct?

> Correct... Major upgrades are going to a different code train, minor is revisions on the same code train.

2.If we have problems with Prime 2.0, it is possible to downgrade to 1.4, or is ths with the 2.0 license not possible?

> I don't think you can downgrade, but you can always bring up a new PI 1.4 VM and rehost the license.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thx for the help.

But one last question:

Scott Fella schrieb:

There isn't a direct upgrade from WCS to PI 2.0.  You will need to upgrade WCS to NCS 1.x and then to PI 2.0.

After all of these informations, we have decided to install a complett new PI 2.0, because we don't need any old informations/maps. With R-W-PI2X-U-K9 we could rehost our old WCS license to the new host, correct?

kind regards

René

Yes you will be able to. Any NCS 1.0, 1.1 and PI 1.3 or newer can be register since these license are tied to the vUDI of the VM.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content