Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silver

Upgrade WLC and APs

Hi,

We have 3 WLCs (AIR-WLC4402-50-K9) running 6.0.196.0 code.

There are ~55 APs shared among WLC1 and WLC2. WLC3 act as global backup for WLC1 and WLC2.

APs on WLC1 are configured WLC1 as primary and WLC3 as secondary controller.

APs on WLC2 are configured WLC2 as primary and WLC3 as secondary controller.

Since we are planning to deploy few 3502 APs therefore we need to upgrade the WLCs to code 7.x

I was planning the following:

1. upgrade WLC3 first and use the new code as backup image first and the existing one as primary

2. upgrade WLC2 in the same way as WLC3

3. predownload the new code to the APs associated with WLC2 and swap the image to use the existing one as primary and the new one as backup

4. upgrade WLC1 in the same way as WLC3

5. predownload the new code to the APs associated with WLC1 and swap the image to use the existing one as primary and the new one as backup

So far if either the WLC or AP restart for some reason come back with the original image.

6. Change primary image to 7.x on WLC3 and reboot > WLC3 comes up with new image

7. swap image for APs registered with WLC2 and Change primary image on WLC2 to 7.x

8. Reboot APs with WLC2 and WLC2 as well > APs boot up with new image and go to WLC3 if WLC2 is not up yet or back to WLC2 itself

9. Check if APs are on WLC3 if so reboot APs again to go back to WLC2

9. Repeat step 7 for WLC1 >  APs boot up with new image and go to WLC3 if WLC1 is not up yet

10. Check if APs are on WLC3 if so reboot APs again to go back to WLC1

Is the above mentioned process sufficient or do somebody know a better/shorter one?

Do anyone have some experience with such excercise?

Thanks,

Krisztian

Everyone's tags (3)
7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Upgrade WLC and APs

Here's a shorter way ...

1.  Upgrade WLC 3;

2.  Move all APs on WLC1 to WLC3;

3.  Upgrade WLC1;

4.  Move APs on WLC3 back to WLC1;

5.  Move all APs on WLC 2 to WLC3;

6.  Upgrade WLC2;

7.  Move APs on WLC3 back to WLC2

Silver

Hi,

Seems to be shorter indeed but...

To move the APs from one controller to another I need to reconfigure them with a new primary controller and reboot them right?

Just some clarfication needed on the steps:

1. Does WLC3 run the new code here after upgraded? If so when moving APs from WLC1 APs start downloading new code.

2. If WLC3 runs on new code first I have to predownload the new code to the APs and reconfigure with new primary controller and reboot right?

3. I guess here the only the code is already on the controller and just need to swap the primary and secondary and reload.

4. Again APs need to be reconfigured and reloaded to push them back to original (WLC1) controller.

Thanks,

Krisztian

Silver

Hi,

Concerning the upgrade process as per the documentation before upgrade the WLANs and 802.11 networks have to be disabled. If I do that will the APs move to the backup controller or before dissabling everything I need to move the APs manually to the backup controller.

Thanks,

Krisztian

Cisco Employee

Disabling the WLANs is not related to moving the AP.. Before upgrade.. configure the  AP for primary, Secondary and the teriary so that it will joing the Secondary WLC and  then you can upgrade... When you move the AP to another, then this will reload and then come up on the secondary..

Regards
Surendra

Silver

Hi Surenra,

Thanks for the answer.

Can you please also help me with the above mentioned upgrade process for multiple controllers?

Thanks,

Krisztian

Bronze

If you go to your WLC interface, select the wireless tab. You'll see each AP you manage.

Click on each AP and choose the high availability tab.  You'll see a box for each of your primary, secondary, and tertiary controllers.

Just change the primary controller name and IP to match the controller you want the APs to associate with and apply.

You don't necessarilyt need to reboot.  Even if you have your failover priority set to low, they will still change without a reboot, but it will take a few extra minutes. If you want them to reboot and re-authenticate right away, that's just one more step.

Once your primary is changed, go back to the general tab and click the button (bottom left) that says reboot ap.

Once your controller has no APs associated with it (on the monitor summary - should see 0 APs) you're clear to reboot and upgrade that controller.

Once it's back up, just go to the secondary controller and follow the above steps to move all the APs to the newly upgraded controller and repeat the process.

Ven

Ven Taylor
Silver

Hi Ven,

OK thanks for the answer.

However I would need sort of confirmation on the entire process .

Suppose WLC1 and WLC2 are the primary and WLC3 is the backup controller for both WLC1 and WLC2. WLC3 has no APs associted with it.

What I was planning:

1. Load the new code to the backup WLC3 and swap image to use the existing image (6.x) as primary and the new code (7.x) as failover. Reload controller?

2. Move the APs to backup controller WLC3 (in such a way you mentioned) and predownload backup image (7.x) (which is in fact going to be the new code eventually)

3. Upgrade the primary controller WLC1 and use the new code (7.x) as primary image. Reboot controller. WLC1 comes up with new code (7.x).

4. Swap the image on APs to use the new code (7.x) as primary and change the primary controller to the original one WLC1. Reboot APs.

5. Move APs from WLC2 to WLC3 like did for WLC1. APs and WLC3 still runs old code (6.x).

6. Predownload backup code to APs.

7. Do step 3. for WLC2.

8. Do step 4. for WLC2.

9. Swap image on WLC3 to use 7.x as primary and 6.x as failover. Reboot WLC3. WLC3 comes up with new code.

10. Relax have some beer and enjoy

Is the above described the correct way?

Thanks,

Krisztian

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content